Officials: Nest in chimney flue caused Arlington Heights fire

 
 
Updated 1/25/2021 6:03 PM

An animal nest around the chimney flue of an Arlington Heights home is believed to be the cause of a fire Friday that left the residence uninhabitable, fire officials said Monday.

Residents of the single-family home on the 300 block of East Ivy Lane were able to get out safely thanks to working smoke alarms that alerted them, and no one was injured in the blaze, according to the Arlington Heights Fire Department.

 

Firefighters were called to the house at 8:52 p.m. Friday, finding fire venting from the west side of the house at the roof line, the department said.

The main body of the fire was in an upper bedroom and put under control within 10 minutes. Since the fire extended aggressively into the attic, crews spent a lot of time removing drywall and extinguishing hot spots, officials said.

Arlington Heights firefighters were assisted by crews from Palatine, Buffalo Grove and Prospect Heights.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.