GOP uses voters to push election reforms in unlikely states
Republicans in at least four states where Democrats control the governor's office, the legislature or both are pursuing statewide ballot initiatives or veto-proof proposals to enact voter ID restrictions and other changes to election law
Facts Matter: FBI was not directed to spy on school parentsThe feds weren't directed to spy on parents at school board meetings, a mask study was misrepresented, and an image of Jeff Bezos with William Shatner was altered by someone who sought to show "space is fake," Bob Oswald says in his Facts Matter column.
Sri Lanka gives booster shots to front-line workers, seniorsSri Lanka has announced plans to offer booster shots to front-line workers followed by the elderly as the island nation gears up to further ease COVID-19 restrictions
Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine more than 90% effective in kidsKid-size doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine appear safe and nearly 91% effective at preventing symptomatic infections in 5- to 11-year-olds, according to study details released Friday as the U.S. considers opening vaccinations to that age group.
EXPLAINER: Is it time to get a COVID-19 booster? Which one?Millions more Americans just became eligible for COVID-19 boosters but figuring out who's eligible and when can be confusing -- and adding to the challenge is that this time around, people can get a different type of vaccine for that extra dose.
Giuliani associate convicted of campaign finance crimesA New York jury has convicted a former associate of Rudy Giuliani of charges that he made illegal campaign contributions to influence U.S. politicians and advance his business interests
Black female pilot a trailblazer for SIU aviationCARBONDALE, Ill. (AP) - Vernecelyn Allen may not consider herself a trailblazer, but trying to find a better term to describe the Southern Illinois University Carbondale aviation graduate is futile. Allen, who completed majors in aviation management and aviation flight in May and August, just earned her flight instructor's certification.
Will Libertyville Sports Complex's indoor season lead to Canadian operator's long-term presence?Physical changes inside the cavernous former Libertyville Sports Complex have been subtle, but its new operator has been working diligently for months to restart the facility and strengthen its suburban presence. How things go over the next several months will help determine whether the company settles in Libertyville for the long haul.
Grammar Moses: Of double letters and double meaningsJim discusses examples of too many double letters and too few -- including in communications from Charmin. Plus, what's a contronym and "vexatious"?
Inspired by son, Northbrook woman gives 'Wheel of Fortune' a spin, donates winnings to MisericordiaWith a pitch like hers, there was no way Bonnie Romniak could be denied an appearance on "Wheel of Fortune." The retired teacher and librarian from Northbrook appeared Tuesday on the classic ABC game show as part of its "Great American Cities" week, highlighting Chicago. She won $9,800 and plans on donating it to Misericordia -- one way it was important to her son.
Constable: After retiring from school named in her honor, principal took aim at polioAfter a career in education that led to a school being named in her honor, retired principal Mary Stitt of Arlington Heights joined Rotary International's global effort to eradicate polio. It took her to several countries and led to an international award.
After California wildfire, thousands of trees to be removedThe California highway connecting visitors to the world's two largest sequoia trees will stay closed so crews can remove upwards of 10,000 trees weakened by wildfires, drought, disease or age
- 4:54 PMHurricane Rick gains force off Mexico's Pacific coast
- 4:17 PMStates mostly defer to union guidance for on-set gun safety
- 3:44 PMObama sharply criticizes Youngkin in Va. governor's race
- 3:25 PMFilm crew voiced complaints before fatal on-set shooting
- 2:34 PMPolice investigating armed robbery at gas station near Grayslake
- 2:33 PMWisconsin man charged with interfering in DUI investigation, then attacking officers in jail
- 1:13 PMWorkers find human remains at suburban Chicago preserve
More Suburban News
- LibertyvilleWill Libertyville Sports Complex's indoor season lead to Canadian operator's long-term presence?
- Prep FootballHinsdale Central shuts out Glenbard West to win Silver title
- Prep FootballFriday night Northwest suburbs roundup: Maine South holds off New Trier to clinch CSL South outright.
- Prep FootballHeartstopping win for Warren over Lake Forest
- Long Grove'I will always remember her kindness': Peers laud former Long Grove president Maria Rodriguez
- Prep FootballPalatine rolls past Hoffman to share MSL West crown
- Prep FootballRolling Meadows upsets Prospect, becomes playoff eligible
- Prep FootballBarrington tops Fremd for 5th win
- Prep FootballBuffalo Grove nips Hersey to tie for MSL East title
- Prep FootballGeneva holds off Lake Park to become playoff eligible
- Prep FootballDodd announces arrival with big game in Naperville Central win
- Prep FootballCary-Grove completes perfect regular season
- NewsInspired by son, Northbrook woman gives 'Wheel of Fortune' a spin, donates winnings to Misericordia
- EducationConstable: After retiring from school named in her honor, principal took aim at polio
- LisleSlow to develop this year, fall colors begin to 'weave their autumn tapestry'
Owls, pumpkin patches and football games means it's autumn in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 2-8, 2021.