Jury begins deliberations in trial of actor Jussie Smollett
The jury in Jussie Smollett's trial started deliberating Wednesday, after a prosecutor said there is "overwhelming evidence" that the former "Empire" actor lied to police about being the victim of an anti-gay, racist attack and his defense attorney said the charges are based on lies.
Pfizer says COVID booster offers protection against omicronPfizer said Wednesday that a booster dose of its COVID-19 vaccine may protect against the new omicron variant even though the initial two doses appear significantly less effective.
Japanese tourists dock at International Space StationA Japanese billionaire and his producer rocketed to space on Wednesday and reached the International Space Station several hours later
With vaccine resistance high, Poland faces surge of deathsPoland and several other countries in Central and Eastern Europe are facing the emergence of the omicron variant while already dealing with surging coronavirus cases and deaths
Flood insurance costs rise in areas once deemed lower riskA revamped federal flood insurance program means higher rates for many homeowners - including in areas where coverage isn't required because the government previously deemed them low or moderate risk
India's military chief, 12 others killed in helicopter crashIndia's air force says the country's military chief, Gen. Bipin Rawat, his wife and 11 others were killed Wednesday in a helicopter crash in southern Tamil Nadu state
Judges question lawyers in redistricting suitsOral arguments began Tuesday in three lawsuits challenging the new legislative district maps that lawmakers passed earlier this year with three federal judges asking detailed questions of all the parties in the cases.
Federal judge tosses McHenry County's bid to keep immigrant detentionMcHenry County's lawsuit that sought to throw out a new state law banning its contract with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was dismissed by a federal judge Monday.
Prosecutor: Potter 'failed' Wright; defense calls it mistakeJurors at the trial of the former suburban Minneapolis police officer who killed Black motorist Daunte Wright are hearing starkly different versions of events
Thanksgiving gatherings add to latest COVID-19 hospitalization spike, highest since JanuaryCOVID-19 hospitalizations hit the highest levels since January, as Thanksgiving-related infections are a side dish to the latest virus surge.
No injuries in Naperville apartment fireNo one was injured in Naperville apartment fire Wednesday night, according to a Naperville Fire Department news release.
- 9:31 PMSchaumburg woman accused of breaking baby's legs
- 9:26 PMAlgonquin double murder suspect agrees to extradition
- 9:12 PMEXPLAINER: How does an officer use a gun instead of a Taser?
- 8:55 PMFather, son arrested in wildfire that threatened Lake Tahoe
- 8:47 PMDriver has medical event, strikes fatally strikes 2 on foot
- 8:39 PMLawyers deny spy suspect discussed fleeing to evade arrest
- 8:38 PMJussie Smollett case in jurors' hands at Chicago trial
More Suburban News
- CaryCary's new municipal center to open to public Dec. 17
- Mount ProspectRelief ahead for drivers at difficult Mount Prospect intersection
- WheatonState lawsuit alleges Wheaton history group gave $300,000 illegally to board member
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect changes zoning to allow warehouse on "eyesore" property
- AntiochThe missing link: Tunnel under Route 45 ready to connect northern Lake County forest preserves
- Vernon HillsChicago Bears coat drive underway at Salvation Army locations
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball: Fontana stepping down as coach at Crystal Lake South
- Prep SportsBoys swimming: Scouting the 2021-2022 season in Lake County
- Prep SportsBoys swimming: Scouting the 2021-2022 season in the Northwest suburbs
- Girls' BasketballNazareth hands Carmel second-straight loss
- SchaumburgSchaumburg panel favors restoring Woodfield Trolley's daily summer service to help businesses
- BusinessSix more Arlington Heights businesses fined for selling alcohol to minors
- Boys' BasketballLake Park hands Batavia 1st loss
- Boys' BasketballWW South still unbeaten after win over Geneva
- NapervilleNo injuries in Naperville apartment fire
Don't be afraid to take a peek at The Week in Pictures photo gallery for November 27-December 3, 2021 in the Chicago suburbs.