Graduates in Class of 2020: 103
Co-Valedictorians: Trishia Mae Cueto and Griffin Chapman
Co-Salutatorians: Anika Bhoopalam and Rachel Padgitt.
Graduation Speakers: Trishia Mae Cueto, Griffin Chapman, Anika Bhoopalam and Rachel Padgitt.
Class president: Stefana Hernandez
• Exemplary High School -- 2019 and 2020, (highest rating by the Illinois State Board of Education).
• Ranked number one for regular Illinois high schools 2020 (Jay Mathews/Washington Post Index)
• Most improved regular high school in Illinois 2020 (U.S. News & World Report)
• Named the Best Professional Learning Community in United States (DuFour Award 2020)
• National Merit finalists: Jaden Lydon, Griffin Chapman
• National Merit semifinalists: Marshall Brown, Trishia Mae Cueto
• Illinois State Scholars: Anika Bhoopalam, Marshall Brown, Griffin Chapman, Nicholas Charlton, Trishia Mae Cueto, Emily Czaplewski, Curtis Green-Saunders, Bridgette Jagielo, Jaden Lydon, Marta Melnyk, Aminah Mostafa, Mark Naom, Rachel Padgitt, Amanda Rosland, Rylee Sharkey, Stephanie Walker.
Athletic achievements: Curtis Green Saunders III, three-time state qualifier in wrestling, fourth place in state; Christian Zubiate, two-time state qualifier in wrestling; Girls Cross Country Team Conference Champions; Boys Track Sectional Champions.
• Scholastic Bowl Regional Champions (2019 and 2020)
• WHS Choir, two-time Grand Champion at Joliet Choir Festival; Haley Grimm, two-time All State Honors Choir; Anika Bhoopalam, two-time All State Choir; Griffin Chapman, All State Honors Choir
• Kayla Staley, published author
• Inaugural junior board of directors, Peoples Resource Center of DuPage Co-Presidents Stefana Hernandez and Violet Okon.
Theater productions: "Once Upon A Pandora's Box" and "Once On This Island."
Homecoming King and Queen: Curtis Green Saunders III and Mikayla Johnson.
What was new for the Class of 2020: During the four years these seniors attended Westmont High School, a $7 million renovation was completed. Westmont High School has also been recognized by several authors and researchers as the most improved high school in Illinois and the nation and one of the top performing high schools in the country. The work done by the Westmont High School Class of 2020 was instrumental in these achievements.
Notable visitors: U.S. Rep. Sean Casten; state Rep. Deanne Mazzochi; leading education author and presenter Mike Mattos; close family friends of Emmett Till's family, Mike and Tina Small.
Principal's reflections on the Class of 2020: Westmont High School's graduating Class of 2020 is an exceptional team of young student leaders. Their hard work and scholarship earned Westmont the highest rating -- Exemplary -- from the Illinois State Board of Education (one of very few schools in Illinois to receive this distinction twice). The Class of 2020 also propelled Westmont to become the most improved regular high school in Illinois and the country in the two oldest national rankings (U.S. News & World Report and The Washington Post/Jay Mathews Challenge Index). They provided service leadership and worked to create the inaugural junior board of directors for the Peoples Resource Center of DuPage, and helped the school earn the DuFour Award as the Best Professional Learning Community in the United States. We could not be more proud of these students. We will miss them and know they will go on to continued success and service to others.
-- Principal Jack Baldermann