Protesters set fires in Minneapolis police station
Protesters angered by the death of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who died while in police custody, gained access to a Minneapolis police precinct on Thursday, the third straight night of violent protests spreading beyond the city.
Violent protests rock Minneapolis for 2nd straight nightViolent protests over the death of a black man in police custody rocked a Minneapolis neighborhood for a second straight night as angry crowds looted stores, set fires and left a path of damage that stretched for miles.
Nearly 41 million have lost jobs since virus hit, but layoffs slowRoughly 2.1 million people applied for U.S. unemployment benefits last week, a sign that companies are still slashing jobs in the face of a deep recession even as more businesses reopen and rehire some laid-off employees.
Job losses continue to mount in U.S. despite reopeningsThe coronavirus crisis threw at least 2.1 million Americans out of work last week despite the gradual reopening of businesses around the country, stoking fears Thursday that the scourge is doing deep and potentially long-lasting damage to the U.S. economy.
Trump continues to claim broad powers he doesn't haveThreatening to shut down Twitter for flagging false content. Claiming he can "override" governors who dare to keep churches closed to congregants. Asserting the "absolute authority" to force states to reopen, even when local leaders say it's too soon.
Trump signs executive order against social media companies, escalating war on TwitterPresident Donald Trump is escalating his war on social media companies, preparing to sign an executive order Thursday challenging the liability protections that have served as a bedrock for unfettered speech on the internet.
Bipartisan opposition leaves surveillance bill in doubtLegislation extending surveillance authorities that the FBI sees as vital in fighting terrorism has run into heavy opposition, its future has been thrown into doubt, with President Donald Trump threatening a veto and Republican leaders and top liberal Democrats saying they will oppose it
'Master Thief' burglar hopes to catch break on sentenceA career criminal is hoping to catch a break on his prison sentence from burglarizing a Brink's warehouse
Hard-line former Tehran mayor named Iran parliament speakerIran's parliament has voted to elect a hard-line former mayor of Tehran as the legislative body's new speaker
Manhunts after hundreds flee quarantine in Zimbabwe, MalawiManhunts have begun after hundreds of people, some with the coronavirus, fled quarantine centers in Zimbabwe and Malawi
AP PHOTOS: Romanian port city marks Easter late due to virusIn a Romanian city on the shores of the Black Sea, Orthodox Easter was celebrated more than a month later than planned
George Floyd protesters set Minneapolis police station afireProtesters angered by the death of a black man in police custody gained access to a Minneapolis police precinct Thursday and began setting fires
- 1:05 AMMinneapolis police station torched amid George Floyd protest
- 11:29 PMBrazilians say 'I do' at drive-thru weddings to avoid virus
- 10:43 PMShots fired during Denver protest of Minneapolis man's death
- 10:26 PMProtesters gain access to Minneapolis police precinct, set fires in wake of George Floyd death
- 9:56 PMAustralian court rules queen's letters can be made public
- 9:44 PMMan charged in Mennonite woman's death grew up in the faith
- 9:43 PMTough words, little drama, familiar champ in virtual bee
More Suburban News
- DuPage CountyDuPage sheriff: Crime increases in unincorporated areas as residents stay home
- NapervilleFace masks and plexiglass: How government facilities plan to reopen with extra precautions
- PalatinePalatine police probing case of 22-year-old woman reported missing
- LisleDUI arrest leads to gun charge in Lisle
- NapervilleNaperville clears way for outdoor dining
- Glen EllynTour of Lake Ellyn, rest of cycling series canceled
- ElginElgin residents turn out by the hundreds for food, supplies
- EducationDist. 204 continuing free meal service over summer
- AuroraAurora police: 3 gang members arrested on weapons charges
- GurneeGurnee police: Juvenile involved in shooting evaded capture
- LibertyvilleLake County towns helping kick-start outdoor dining
- Girls' BasketballFremd friends set to continue careers
- Des PlainesFaith congregations aren't rushing to resume religious services in Phase 3
- Prep SportsKauling, Walker let their play do the talking
- ElginCouncilman wants to 'set Elgin free' from COVID-19 restrictions; others rebuke him