George Floyd's death an American tragedy with global echoes
Since George Floyd's death in Minnesota last week, his face has been painted on walls from Nairobi, Kenya to Idlib, Syria
Chief struggles to change Minneapolis police cultureWhen Medaria Arradondo was tapped to lead the Minneapolis Police Department in 2017, he faced a public newly outraged by the fatal police shooting of a woman who had called 911 and still carrying deep mistrust from the killing of a black man two years earlier.
Citing jobs, Trump claims victory over virus, economic crisisPresident Donald Trump took a victory lap Friday morning after the government reported surprising job gains for last month, seizing on the data to predict that the worst of the coronavirus pandemic and its economic disruption was in the rear-view mirror.
Unemployment rate falls to 13.3%, U.S. adds 2.5 million jobsThe U.S. unemployment rate fell to 13.3% in May from 14.7%, and 2.5 million jobs were added -- a surprisingly positive reading in the midst of a recession that has paralyzed the economy in the wake of the viral pandemic.
On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in NormandyForgotten they will never be. Revered, yes. But Saturday's anniversary will be one of the loneliest remembrances ever, as the coronavirus pandemic is keeping almost everyone away -- from government leaders to frail veterans who might not get another chance for a final farewell to their unlucky comrades.
Police try to stop Floyd rally in Sydney due to virus fearsPolice challenged whether a Black Lives Matter protest planned for Saturday in Australia's largest city is too much of a virus risk, as demonstrators in the capital reminded the country that racial inequality is not a U.S. issue alone
Police: Parents, 4 kids found dead in garage in San AntonioAuthorities in Texas say they found a family of six dead, including four children, in the back of an SUV in a garage
Germany investigating McCann suspect in another caseGerman prosecutors have opened an investigation into whether a 43-year-old who has emerged as a possible suspect in the disappearance of British girl Madeleine McCann in Portugal may have been involved in a similar crime in Germany
Raw feelings abound as Senate turns back to Russia probeTwo GOP-led Senate committees are launching election-year investigations into the Justice Department's Russia probe
Surgical or homemade, masks mark a major shift in thinkingBefore the coronavirus outbreak abruptly disrupted the livelihoods of millions of people, the sight of masks worn in public spaces in the Western world conjured up images of malevolent clowns and terrifying fictional villains
Lives Lost: Twins were gentle giants in small Vermont townThe tiny Vermont town of Wilmington was largely spared from the impact of coronavirus until April, when Cleon Boyd, a lifelong resident who embodied the town's toughness and traditions, died
Venice flooded by unusual high tide, 3rd highest for JuneA quarter of Venice has been submerged by a near-record June high tide
Black cops feel pain of Floyd's death, duty to their uniformBlack officers find themselves torn between two worlds when it comes to the protests against police brutality happening around the U.S. They feel the pain of seeing black men killed at the hands of fellow officers, yet they must also try to keep the peace during protests
- 7:36 PMMount Prospect believes it has solved water issues at new fire headquarters
- 7:28 PMBlack cops feel pain of Floyd's death, duty to their uniform
- 7:16 PMWaukegan police searching for vehicle involved in fatal hit-and-run
- 7:13 PMLongtime Mount Prospect Library board member left 'permanent mark'
- 7:11 PMFreedom Classic 5K run to continue virtually
- 7:08 PMSign removal a mistake, Libertyville mayor says
- 7:02 PMJordan giving $100 million for racial equality, justice
More Suburban News
- AuroraAurora cancels Friday night curfew
- Mount ProspectSubmarine Express, an icon of downtown Mount Prospect, moving out to make way for bank
- LibertyvilleSign removal a mistake, Libertyville mayor says
- NapervilleFundraising starts for diversity artwork in Naperville
- NapervilleNaperville Park District loses fight for temporary restraining order against governor
- Aurora6 more people charged with felonies in Aurora riot, looting
- BataviaBatavia cancels July 4 fireworks
- WheelingWheeling Board of Health holding community blood drive
- NapervilleNaperville approves road work contract
- ItascaItasca, Roselle libraries offering curbside service
- PalatineChanting, sign-holding crowd lines Quentin Road to protest in Palatine
- GenevaGeneva fire causes minor injury, leaves house uninhabitable
- NapervilleNaperville buys land near transit
- NewsNCH Wellness Center in Arlington Heights reopens
- NewsOrganizers buy bus tickets for seniors after rates increase