Streamwood HS senior named to academic all-conference team
• Brandon Christopher of Streamwood, a senior at Streamwood High School, was named to the 2018-2019 Upstate Eight Conference Academic All-Conference Team during Streamwood High School's Boys Basketball Awards Night held March 21, at the school.
The Upstate Eight High School Conference is an association that consists of 10 high schools located in northeastern Illinois outside of Chicago.
Coach Kent Payne presented Christopher with his senior varsity bar, academic all-conference pin and a certificate. Payne commended Christopher for his performance at the boys' IHSA Class 4A Regional Basketball Three-Point Showdown, held at South Elgin High School in March. Christopher was the first shooter to hit 9 out of 15 shots, set the standard for most shots hit in a round, and no player was able to hit more than nine shots in any round at the competition.
Christopher, who also serves the Alexian Brothers Foundation Youth Board as a community ambassador, will attend Lake Forest College next year, where he plans to major in business.
• U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Jay Foster of Skokie is assigned to the USS West Virginia. The 2005 graduate of Niles North High School, is a fire control technician stationed at the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, home port to the Ohio-class ballistic-missile and guided-missile submarines.
The Ohio-class design allows the submarines to operate for 15 or more years between major overhauls. On average, the submarines spend 77 days at sea followed by 35 days in-port for maintenance.
Foster is part of the boat's gold crew, one of the two rotating crews, which allow the boat to be deployed on missions more often without taxing one crew too much. A typical crew on this submarine is approximately 150 officers and enlisted sailors.
Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay is home to all East Coast Ohio-class submarines. Team Kings Bay ensures Navy crews are combat ready when called upon, putting submarine forces on scene, unseen.
• U.S. Air Force Airman Edgar P. Nava of Wheeling graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
The airman completed an intensive, eight-week program that included training in military discipline and studies, Air Force core values, physical fitness, and basic warfare principles and skills.
Nava, who earned distinction as an honor graduate, is the son of Carlos and Ada Nava of Wheeling and a 2018 graduate of Buffalo Grove High School, in Buffalo Grove.
• Consumers Cooperative Association, sponsor of Consumers Credit Union, announced the winners of 16, $2,000 academic scholarships at the joint annual meeting of the two organizations. The recipients, all high school seniors, are able to use their scholarships at the college or university of their choice. The 16 winners came from 14 different high schools.
The 2019 Scholarship winners are: Sean Finerty and Diego Cisneros, Mundelein High School; Miguel Balderas, Zion-Benton Township High School; Kyle Riekki, Adlai E. Stevenson High School; Edgar Martinez, Round Lake High School; Rachel Mashek, Schaumburg High School; Brenna Maloney, Westosha Central High School, Salem, Wisconsin; Abraham Husmillo, Montini Catholic High School; Emily Pizano, Waukegan High School; Jayel Versoza, Warren Township High School; Carley Edwards, Grayslake North High School; Victoria Wagner, Grant Community High School; Sara Moreno, Warren Township High School; Makayla Golden, McHenry East High School; Danielle Dionisio, Barrington Community High School; and Esther Martinez, East Brunswick High School, New Jersey.
Consumers Credit Union is member-owned, with offices in Waukegan, Mundelein, Round Lake Beach, Gurnee, North Waukegan, Volo, Kildeer, Palatine, Schaumburg and Northbrook.
• Send your 'Neighbors in the News' items to Norrine Towhey at firstname.lastname@example.org.