Naperville apartment uninhabitable after oven fire

Updated 2/10/2019 6:15 PM

Two residents were displaced Sunday after an oven fire left a Naperville apartment uninhabitable, officials said.

Fire crews responded about 3:13 p.m. to the 1300 block of Modaff Road, where they saw smoke showing from the second floor of an apartment complex, according to the Naperville Fire Department. Firefighters found the blaze in the kitchen of a second-floor unit and brought it under control within 10 minutes.


Crews worked to clear smoke from the stairwells, ventilate the building and move occupants of unaffected apartments to safety, officials said. No injuries were reported.

The unit where the fire started was deemed uninhabitable because of smoke and fire damage, officials said. Two occupants were relocated with help from the American Red Cross and property management.

Fire officials say the fire was cooking-related and determined to be an accident.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.