FDA backs Pfizer COVID-19 boosters for seniors, high-risk
The U.S. moved a step closer Wednesday to offering booster doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine to senior citizens and others at high risk from the virus as the Food and Drug Administration signed off on the targeted use of the extra shots.
Ravaged by war, Syrian rebel area struggles with virus surgeCoronavirus cases are surging to the worst levels of the pandemic in a rebel stronghold in Syria
'śMy whole life in a van': Islanders flee Spanish volcanoA wall of lava up to 12 meters (40 feet) high is bearing down on a Spanish island village following a volcanic eruption
Biden doubles U.S. global donation of COVID-19 vaccine shotsPresident Joe Biden announced Wednesday that the United States is doubling its purchase of Pfizer's COVID-19 shots to share with the world to 1 billion doses as he embraces the goal of vaccinating 70% of the global population within the next year.
EXPLAINER: Wide dangers ahead for Spanish volcanic islandThe eruption of a long-dormant volcano on a small Spanish island in the Atlantic Ocean forced the evacuation of more than 6,000 people and scientists are warning that more dangers lie ahead
Beloved 'Sex and the City' actor Willie Garson dies at 57Willie Garson, who played Stanford Blatch on TV's 'œSex and the City'Ł and its movie sequels, has died at the age of 57
Croatian police identify woman found with memory lossCroatian police say they have established the identity of a woman who was found in a remote area on a northern Adriatic island with no recollection of who she was or where she came from
White House blacklists Russian ransomware payment 'enabler'The Biden administration is trying to choke the finances of criminal ransomware gangs by sanctioning a Russia-based virtual currency brokerage it says has been used by at least eight ransomware gangs to launder criminal proceeds
Is the delta variant of the coronavirus worse for kids?The delta variant is causing a surge in infections among kids in the U.S. and elsewhere, but experts say there are no strong signs yet that it is causing more severe disease for young patients
Today in HistoryToday in History Today is Thursday, Sept. 23, the 266th day of 2021. There are 99 days left in the year.
Why it may be better to wait for COVID-19 boosterWaiting to get a COVID-19 booster shot may make it more effective. That's what many infectious disease experts and even some vaccine manufacturers are saying as a federal immunization safety group began discussing the nation's booster shot plan Wednesday. This as Illinois sees case positivity rate continue its decline.
- 11:09 PMMexican government charges against academics criticized
- 9:41 PMItasca panel votes unanimously against Haymarket drug treatment center
- 9:39 PMBartlett man sentenced to 15 years for 7-Eleven robbery
- 9:27 PM'The hospital is broken': Sherman surgery vice chair calls anesthesia shortage a crisis
- 9:12 PMFormer US defense secretary testifies in Holmes fraud trial
- 9:10 PMRobert Gentile, linked to Gardner Museum art theft, dies
- 8:34 PMMichael Amadei is Des Plaines District 62's next superintendent
More Suburban News
- Glen EllynGlen Ellyn board receptive to latest apartment project, but design 'too modern' for downtown
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove approves plan for Ricky Rockets, retail center
- ElginElgin police investigating armed robbery at business
- AuroraAurora man charged with leaving scene of fatal crash, destroying evidence
- NewsMichael Amadei is Des Plaines District 62's next superintendent
- Des Plaines$2,200 in chips reported stolen at Rivers Casino
- ItascaItasca Lions Club to host annual Italian Feast charity buffet on Sept. 26
- NewsArlington Heights mayor fines a dozen businesses for liquor violations
- Prep FootballAfter 8 stops in 7 states, Vernon Hills QB Lazor is focused on forging his own path
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Barrington, Conant's Simon are MSL champs
- Prep SportsBoys golf: South Elgin claims UEC title
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Zheng, Neuqua Valley nip Naperville North for DVC crown
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball: Crystal Lake South rallies past Huntley
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Abdullah leads Hinsdale Central to WSC title
- ItascaItasca panel votes unanimously against Haymarket drug treatment center
Everything from 9/11 memorials to high school football is reflected in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September 11-17, 2021.
9/11 remembrance ceremonies and other end-of-summer activities fill up The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September 4-10, 2021.