Dillard weighs third run for governor
A former Republican state legislator and veteran of two past GOP gubernatorial administrations said Wednesday he's weighing a bid to join the field of candidates vying for the chance to unseat Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker.
Immigrant detentions soar despite Biden's campaign promisesThe number of people in federal immigration detention has risen markedly under President Joe Biden
UK police arrest 11 over racist abuse after Euros finalBritish police have made 11 arrests in connection with the online racial abuse of England soccer players following their team's loss to Italy in the final of the European Championship last month
Airstrikes pummel Taliban in south; insurgents gain in northThe Afghan defense ministry says its air force has carried out more airstrikes against Taliban positions in southern Afghanistan, while the insurgent force makes additional gains in the country's north
CDC team: 'War has changed' as delta variant dangers emergeNew evidence showing the delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox and may be more dangerous than other versions has prompted U.S. health officials to consider changing advice on how the nation fights the coronavirus, internal documents show.
WHO leader wants vaccine booster moratoriumThe head of the World Health Organization is calling for a moratorium on administering booster shots of COVID-19 vaccines to help ensure that doses are available in countries where few people have received their first shots.
53 winners of pot shop license lottery announcedFollowing a year of acrimony and delays, state officials have announced that 53 firms entered in the state's first pot shop lottery had earned the rights to 55 lucrative licenses.
New law aims to expand affordable housing through $75 million investment, tax creditsGov. J.B. Pritzker on Thursday signed a measure aimed at increasing affordable housing investment in Illinois, as well as a measure expanding the state's low-income energy assistance program.
Suspected rape and killing of Indian girl triggers protestsAngry villagers in the Indian capital have held a protest outside a crematorium where they say a 9-year-old girl was raped and killed earlier this week
Biden to allow eviction moratorium to expire SaturdayThe Biden administration on Thursday announced it will allow a nationwide ban on evictions to expire Saturday, arguing that its hands are tied after the Supreme Court signaled it could only be extended until the end of the month.
Once fading, mask sales starting to reboundMasks, which had started to disappear from store shelves, may be front and center again.
COVID-19 rates a worry as 1 million head for Iowa State FairWith coronavirus cases rising throughout Iowa and around the nation, health experts are becoming increasingly worried about next month's Iowa State Fair, which will bring more than 1 million people to Des Moines from around the state, including many from counties with low vaccination rates and increasing prevalence of the disease.
- 5:04 PMSinging, dancing and story time enchant kids at Lords Park Zoo
- 5:04 PMWith COVID cases rising, Latino leaders hope to motivate community to get vaccinated
- 4:48 PMPeople fleeing Hong Kong crackdown get temporary US haven
- 4:28 PMAnderson's Bookshop offers virtual tickets for discussion with Schwarzenegger, Trump whistleblower Vindman
- 4:26 PM3 erupting Alaska volcanoes spitting lava or ash clouds
- 4:17 PMOffers flooding in after woodland hermit's cabin burns down
- 4:09 PMPritzker hopes school mask mandate 'very temporary,' but new COVID-19 cases top 3,000
More Suburban News
- Kane CountyKane County officials strongly recommend masks at county buildings
- ElginSinging, dancing and story time enchant kids at Lords Park Zoo
- WheatonPrairie Path closure in downtown Wheaton expected to last several months
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect moving ahead with old police, fire headquarters redevelopment
- Mount ProspectTwo Mount Prospect trustees vote against reappointments to all-male economic development commission
- Kane CountySocial services say Kane County shouldn't keep so much COVID money, but it hasn't decided yet
- NewsVehicle stickers to honor Arlington Heights' first Black resident
- NewsArt at the Glen returns to Glenview for the 18th year
- Lake ZurichPopeyes coming to Lake Zurich in late autumn
- BusinessAmid more delays, Arlington Heights apartment project on 'cusp of breaking ground'
- BataviaSome suburban businesses declare their own mask mandates for customers
- AuroraAdvocate Aurora Health to require vaccination for employees
- BloomingdaleOld Town Block Party in Bloomingdale set for Saturday
- NapervilleDuPage Symphony Orchestra announces 2021-22 season
- Des PlainesArmed robberies reported outside Rivers Casino
Through the Film Magnifer, Walter Payton, Shadow Traffic, Danny Thomas at Woodfield Mall, Julia Child and more