Teen charged in attack of family at Six Flags misses court appearance

  • Gregory Battle

    Gregory Battle

 
 
Updated 4/24/2018 1:01 PM

An arrest warrant has been issued for a Waukegan man accused of inciting the attack of a Batavia family at Six Flags Great America last fall.

Gregory Battle, 18, was expected to appear in front of Lake County circuit court Judge Mark Levitt to explain why he had been missing school while out on bond, and the court recovered traces of marijuana in his system during a drug screening last week.

 

However, Battle was a no-show in court Tuesday, and defense attorney Doug Zeit told Levitt it had been a "couple of days since we've seen him."

Levitt responded by issuing a no-bond bench warrant against Battle, then told his parents in court "if you see him anywhere, bring him in."

Battle was the oldest of nine teens arrested by Gurnee Police on Sept. 23 after the attack at Great America left three members of a family hospitalized, authorities said.

The victims -- a 51-year-old man, 50-year-old woman and their 12-year-old son -- were standing in line when a group of teens cut in front of them and started swearing loudly, authorities said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 

After words were exchanged between the groups, one juvenile punched the 12-year-old son, authorities said. The rest of the group attacked the family after the father stepped in to protect his son.

The family members were taken to the hospital for treatment of nonlife threatening injuries, authorities said.

Witnesses of the fight called police and park security, but the teens left the theme park before authorities arrived. Battle and the other juveniles were taken in to custody while walking outside the park.

Battle was charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, mob action and aggravated battery in a public place for his role in the attack, authorities have said.

Eight other teens ranging in age from 15 to 17 were charged in juvenile court with mob action. One juvenile was also charged with obstruction of justice for giving police a false name.

Seven of the juveniles are from Waukegan, and the eighth lives in Beach Park.

Battle was released from custody after posting $20,000 bail.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments
Attention: We are experiencing technical difficulties with our Facebook Comments module at this time. Comments will remain disabled until we are able to resolve the problem. We apologize for the interruption. We invite you to engage with our content and talk with other commenters on our Daily Herald Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DailyHeraldFans/. Thank you.