Barrett confirmed as Supreme Court justice in partisan vote
Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed to the Supreme Court late Monday, installing President Donald Trump's nominee days before the election.
'We are in a crisis stage': Coronavirus deaths are rising again in the U.S., as fearedDeaths per day from the coronavirus in the U.S. are on the rise again, just as health experts had feared, and cases are climbing in nearly every state, despite assurances from President Donald Trump over the weekend that "we're rounding the turn, we're doing great."
Trump charges into battleground states despite rising virusPresident Donald Trump embarked Monday on a final-week charge through nearly a dozen states ahead of the election, overlooking a surge of coronavirus cases in the U.S. and a fresh outbreak in his own White House. His Democratic rival, Joe Biden, is holding far fewer events in an effort to demonstrate that he's taking the worsening pandemic seriously.
Early vote total exceeds 2016; GOP chips at Democrats' advantageWith eight days before Election Day, more people already have cast ballots in this year's presidential election than voted early or absentee in the 2016 race as the start of in-person early voting in big states led to a surge in turnout in recent days.
U.S. health official says pandemic clearly can be controlledA day after White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said "we're not going to control the pandemic," a top Trump administration health official said Monday that Americans have already proven they can do that through basic safeguards shown to work.
As virus resurges, so does fear of more economic pain aheadWith winter looming and confirmed viral cases rising, Bob Szuter's craft brewery and restaurant in Columbus, Ohio, could use another government lifeline to help survive until spring.
Fox News anchors quarantine after virus exposure on flightSeveral Fox News Channel on-air personalities were exposed last week to someone on a private plane who later tested positive for COVID-19, leading the network to take extra precautions this week.
Global pandemic hits home in the West Virginia mountainsThe coronavirus often seemed like a distant phenomenon best viewed on a TV screen in living rooms in the remote mountain towns that dot the state's expanses of wilderness. But as another surge of COVID-19 grows across the nation, the global pandemic is hitting home in Doddridge County.
French doctor warns his country has 'lost control' of virusA French doctor warned Monday that his country has "lost control of the epidemic," a day after health authorities reported more than 52,000 new coronavirus cases as nations across Europe enact more sweeping restrictions to try to slow surging infection rates.
Airstrike in northwestern Syria kills over 50 rebel fightersA Syrian opposition spokesman and a war monitor say an airstrike on a training camp in the last rebel last enclave in northwestern Syria has killed over 50 fighters
Feeding Houston's hungry: 1M pounds of food daily for needyIn lines of cars stretching more than half a mile, people thrown out of work by the coronavirus pandemic queue up with other needy people to receive some of the 1 million pounds of food distributed some days by the Houston Food Bank
10 shot, 2 fatally, at post-funeral gathering in MississippiPolice say 10 people were shot, two fatally, at a gathering after a funeral in Mississippi
- 12:11 AMBomb at seminary in Pakistan kills 7 children, wounds 70
- 12:07 AMLong prison stint looms for defiant self-help guru
- 12:06 AMVietnam evacuating low-lying areas as strong typhoon nears
- 11:30 PMHurricane Zeta makes landfall along the coast of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, just north of Tulum
- 11:23 PMBiden goes on offense in Georgia while Trump targets Midwest
- 11:11 PMHurricane Zeta closes in on resort zone of Mexico's Yucatan
- 11:00 PMToday in History
More Suburban News
- LakemoorTentative settlement reached in lawsuit over development of Woodman's in Lakemoor
- Lake CountyCOVID-19 mobile testing in Lake County
- SchaumburgDespite decline in sales taxes, Schaumburg plans no property tax increase
- AuroraDistrict 204 to continue e-learning through Nov. 13
- NapervilleNaperville order allows recreational, lifestyle facilities to sell packaged alcohol
- Rolling MeadowsNo tree lighting ceremony in Rolling Meadows, but new decorations planned
- RosemontProsecutors: Teen attempted carjacking in Rosemont parking lot
- Buffalo GroveHearing set for Tuesday on Bernard Drive upgrades in Buffalo Grove
- WaucondaBarrington Road resurfacing to start Wednesday
- PoliticsSchneider releases first TV ad; challenger Ramirez Mukherjee avoiding the airwaves
- LakemoorLily Lake Road work to resume with $183,000 correction, legal settlement
- LislePolice say Lisle man slammed door on police officer
- BusinessDuPage could provide $2.5 million in relief for restaurants, bars
- Cook CountyCook County launches cash assistance program for those struggling through pandemic
- GenevaGeneva restaurant can serve meals indoors while fighting governor's order
A lot of suburbanites voted early at many locations in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 17-23, 2020.
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants