Democrats near congressional passage of climate, health package
Democrats pushed their flagship climate change and health care bill toward House passage Friday, placing President Joe Biden on the brink of a back-from-the-dead triumph on his leading domestic goals that could energize his party going into November's elections.
Trump home search: Judge deciding on unsealing the warrantA federal judge was to decide as soon as Friday whether to grant the Department of Justice's request to unseal the warrant that authorized the FBI to search former President Donald Trump's Florida estate. Attorney General Merrick Garland declared there was "substantial public interest in this matter," and Trump backed the warrant's "immediate" release.
Ship heads to Ukraine to get grain for food-starved AfricaA ship approached Ukraine on Friday to pick up wheat for hungry people in Ethiopia, in the first food delivery to Africa under a U.N.-brokered plan to unblock grain trapped by Russia's war and bring relief to some of the millions worldwide on the brink of starvation.
European drought dries up rivers, kills fish, shrivels cropsAn unprecedented drought is afflicting nearly half of the European continent, damaging farm economies, forcing water restrictions and threatening aquatic species. Water levels are falling on major rivers such as the Danube, the Rhine and the Po.
Ohio gunman appeared to threaten FBI after Trump searchA gunman who died in a shootout after trying to get inside the FBI's Cincinnati office appeared to have posted calls on social media for FBI agents to be killed and for people to take up arms and "be ready for combat" in the wake of the search at Donald Trump's home, a law enforcement official said.
Author Salman Rushdie attacked on lecture stage in New YorkSalman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked Friday as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.
Garland asks court to unseal warrant for Mar-a-Lago search; Trump says he's 'encouraging' itThe Justice Department has asked a court to unseal the search warrant the FBI received before searching the Florida estate of former President Donald Trump, Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday.
In Biden's big bill: Climate, health care, deficit reductionThe biggest investment ever in the U.S. to fight climate change. A hard-fought cap on out-of-pocket prescription drug costs for Medicare recipients. A new corporate minimum tax to ensure big businesses pay their share.
CDC drops quarantine, distancing recommendations for COVIDThe nation's top public health agency is relaxing its COVID-19 guidelines and dropping the recommendation that Americans quarantine themselves if they come into close contact with an infected person
Chicago police: Man shot during struggle with officersA 40-year-old man has been shot during a struggle with police in a Southside Chicago neighborhood
Small plane carrying at least 3 crashes in West VirginiaAuthorities say a small plane with at least three people on board has crashed in northern West Virginia
Somaliland leader says 5 killed in opposition protestsThe president of Somaliland says five people were killed in opposition protests over fears of a delayed election, hours after police confirmed shooting demonstrators and accused them of not following officers' instructions
- 11:44 AM$1 million bond set for former Antioch resident facing criminal sexual abuse charges
- 11:43 AMSouth Barrington annexes land for proposed gated community
- 11:35 AMLake County renews economic development pact
- 11:35 AMFire leaves commercial property near Hoffman Estates uninhabitable
- 11:34 AMElgin Parks and Recreation Foundation awards scholarship named for retired city employee
- 11:31 AMHow to start a native garden, bring wildlife to your yard and help the environment
- 11:26 AMPolio detected in NYC's sewage, suggesting virus circulating
More Suburban News
- Hoffman EstatesFire leaves commercial property near Hoffman Estates uninhabitable
- ElginElgin Parks and Recreation Foundation awards scholarship named for retired city employee
- GrayslakeBoth candidates for 62nd House District would bring Grayslake Village Board experience to Springfield
- EducationNew contract would give Dist. 301 teachers a 10.7% raise in first year
- SchaumburgStabbing victim charged with battery after altercation in Schaumburg
- Des PlainesProsecutor: Man sexually assaulted Arlington Heights woman he met through church
- Lake CountyLake County renews economic development pact
- EducationNew contract for District 128 teachers includes 30 days of paid parental leave, 'competitive salary benefits'
- NewsPedestrian struck in crosswalk in Arlington Heights
- SchaumburgProperty tax appeal seminar Aug. 22 in Schaumburg
- Des PlainesCould term limits be tossed in Des Plaines? Voters may be asked to decide in November
- WheelingIntricate mural will greet patrons at District Brew Yards in Wheeling
- St. CharlesSt. Charles committee to review revised apartment complex plans
- SchaumburgSchaumburg to upgrade Teen Center at The Barn in wake of management change
- Vernon HillsTouch-A-Truck and more at Vernon Hills public works open house
Get over here for a look at The Week in Pictures photo gallery for July 18-24, 2022 in the Chicago suburbs.