Heavy rains, landslides leave 18 dead in south India
At least 18 people have died a day after torrential rains swept through villages and flooded roads in the southern Indian state of Kerala
Illinois shelter partners with health groups to build trustSPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Ahead of colder weather, when shelter becomes more of a necessity, Helping Hands of Springfield is partnering with healthcare organizations to build trust with local residents experiencing homelessness. The shelter, which has a capacity of 71 for men experiencing homelessness, joined with Fifth Street Renaissance and health care organizations recently to administer COVID-19 vaccines and provide food among other services, The State Journal-Register reports.
Illinois urges residents to join worldwide earthquake drillEarthquakes may be infrequent in Illinois, but state officials are urging the public to prepare by participating in a worldwide drill they say is the world's largest
The Week That Was: More pressure over anesthesiologist shortage, $250,000 for ex-city managerMore pressure on Advocate Sherman Hospital on the shortage of anesthesiologists. Rolling Meadows paying former city manager $250,000, and police chief now serving in the role. New Hobby Lobby in Gurnee. Possible water, waste fee hikes in Mount Prospect. Naperville crime down despite recent cases.
Illinois police dog comforts grieving after loss of handlerURBANA, Ill. (AP) - As he approaches his annual employee evaluation, Winston has a lock on 'exceeds expectations.' Consider that since December, the chocolate Labrador had to graduate from therapy-dog school, relocate from balmy Florida to chilly Champaign County, start a new job, acclimate to loving strangers, then abruptly be robbed of his 24/7 work partner and handler.
Illinois Dems unveil proposed congressional mapDemocrats in the Illinois General Assembly released the proposed new congressional map Friday, with the lines drawn to yield 14 Democratic and three Republican districts. The current House delegation is made up of 13 Democrats and five Republicans.
How Bears' purchase of Arlington Park happened, and what might happen nextWhile talk of a Bears move to the suburbs has been happening for years, the team's pending purchase of Arlington Park and its 326 acres makes a move feel more real than ever before. Here's a look at how we got to this point, and what might happen next.
Chiefs Super Rugby star Sean Wainui dies in car accidentSean Wainui, a rising star of Super Rugby with the Hamilton-based Chiefs, has died in an auto accident
Police investigating Naperville jewelry robberyNaperville police are asking for the public's help in an investigation into a Saturday night jewelry robbery.
Japan PM says Fukushima wastewater release can't be delayedJapan's new prime minister has visited the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant and said a planned mass disposal of wastewater stored at the complex cannot be delayed, despite concerns from local residents
Nun imprisoned over peace activism, Megan Rice, dies at 91Megan Rice, a nun and Catholic peace activist who spent two years in federal prison while in her 80s after breaking into a government security complex to protest nuclear weapons, has died
Motorcyclist injured in crash on I-90 near ElginA man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries after a motorcycle and vehicle accident on I-90 near Elgin Sunday, according to Illinois State Police officials.
- 6:04 PM'Training ground for future shepherds': Mundelein seminary marks centennial
- 5:52 PMGang with past abductions blamed for kidnapping missionaries
- 5:49 PMRonnie Tutt, drummer for Elvis and other stars, dies at 83
- 5:45 PMBill Clinton back home after hospitalization from infection
- 5:23 PMDes Plaines rail crossing to close Oct. 26
- 5:22 PMLake County Board to discuss $601.5 million budget
- 5:21 PMRail crossing work in Naperville begins Oct. 20
More Suburban News
- ElginMotorcyclist injured in crash on I-90 near Elgin
- NapervillePolice investigating Naperville jewelry robbery
- ElginElgin driver strikes stopped state police cruiser on I-90
- Lake CountyFormer Libertarian candidate for governor charged with threatening Lake County judges
- WheatonWheaton police searching for bank robbery suspect
- CrimeDeerfield man sentenced for defrauding children's charity
- NapervilleRail crossing work in Naperville begins Oct. 20
- Round Lake BeachNew center in Round Lake Park quarduples fragrance maker's manufacturing footprint
- Des PlainesDes Plaines rail crossing to close Oct. 26
- LombardNational Indo-American Museum opens in Lombard
- Rolling MeadowsRolling Meadows police chief named temporary city manager
- Downers GroveLate Army staff sergeant's love of scuba diving inspires Palatine mom to write children's book
- ElginBody found in Elgin a week ago identified as homeless man
- NewsTeenage boy charged with hijacking woman's car in Willowbrook
- Vernon HillsVehicle suspected in deadly hit and run located
Owls, pumpkin patches and football games means it's autumn in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 2-8, 2021.
Through the Film Magnifier: Richard Nixon, ballet classes, baseball tryouts, donkey basketball and more
Bull frogs, cow pies, rescue dogs and race horses are all part of The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September, 18-24, 2021.
Antioch visited Wauconda, Maine South played against Glenbrook North and Buffalo Grove played at Prospect on Friday night, September 24, 2021.