Progress slow on virus relief bill as negotiations continue
Negotiators on a huge coronavirus relief bill reported slight progress after talks resumed in the Capitol, with issues like food for the poor and aid to schools struggling to reopen safely assuming a higher profile in the talks.
China, WHO in talks on plans to trace coronavirus originChina says it and the World Health Organization are discussing further plans to trace the origin of the coronavirus outbreak following a visit to the country by two experts from the U.N. agency
3 men rescued from Pacific island after writing SOS in sandThree men have been rescued from a tiny Pacific island after writing a giant SOS in the sand that was spotted from above
Trump giving $35 million to aid human trafficking survivorsThe Trump administration is awarding more than $35 million in Justice Department grants to nonprofit organizations that provide safe housing for survivors of human trafficking
Prosecutor seeking Trump's taxes cites probe of his businessA Manhattan prosecutor trying to get President Donald Trump's tax returns told a judge Monday that he was justified in demanding them, citing public reports of "extensive and protracted criminal conduct at the Trump Organization."
Virus relief bill remains up in air as negotiations resumeSlow, grinding negotiations on a huge COVID-19 relief bill are set to resume Monday afternoon, but the path forward promises to be challenging and time is already growing short. Republicans are griping that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi won't drop her expansive wish list even as concerns are mounting that the White House needs to be more sure-footed in the negotiations.
'If not now, when?': Black women seize political spotlightBlack women have long been the heart of the Democratic Party -- among the party's most reliable and loyal voters -- but for decades that allegiance didn't translate to their own political rise. There have been zero Black female governors, just two senators, several dozen congresswomen.
U.S. Marines ID all 9 people killed in sea-tank sinkingThe U.S. Marine Corps has identified all nine people killed when a Marine landing craft sank in hundreds of feet of water off the Southern California coast
Census ending data collection for 2020 count a month earlyThe U.S. Census Bureau is cutting its schedule for data collection for the 2020 census a month short
Wave of evictions expected as moratoriums end in many statesHousing advocates fear that they could see a wave of evictions in the coming months, as states end moratoriums put in place during the coronavirus pandemic
- 9:14 AMPolice department with Elijah McClain case gets new chief
- 9:02 AMCrews rescue ostrich injured in fall into Illinois ravine
- 8:55 AM'Rock star' doctor tackles virus on California-Mexico border
- 8:48 AMPlan to convert Grandt's into Mariano's gas station rejected by Arlington Heights board
- 8:43 AMProspect of 2nd Boston Marathon bomber trial brings anguish
- 8:32 AMSt. Louis prosecutor chided by Trump faces primary challenge
- 8:30 AMEx-teacher hopes to free Belarus from president's iron fist
More Suburban News
- DuPage CountyDuPage County facing $14 million budget shortfall
- LombardLombard gas station sells $1 million lottery ticket
- Vernon HillsStrange odor causes Vernon Hills building evacuation
- BensenvilleMetra plans crossing work in Bensenville
- BarringtonBarrington police issue alert about vehicle thefts, burglaries
- LombardHouse fire causes $60,000 in damage in Lombard
- Lake CountyOne killed, several injured in Tri-State Tollway crash
- WaucondaWauconda's annual Art on Main exhibition is nearly ready to launch
- PalatineNew tobacco possession law takes effect in Palatine
- BartlettRailroad crossing repairs to start Aug. 12 in Bartlett
- LibertyvilleLibertyville musician busks for charity with 'Bassoons Filling Bellies'
- Prep SportsNot all spring coaches happy with new schedule
- LombardIt's not the summer they expected, but the Wheaton Municipal Band plays on virtually
- GurneeGurnee residents can expect better water pressure soon
- BusinessPlan to convert Grandt's into Mariano's gas station rejected by Arlington Heights board
Through the Film Magnifier: Bill Veeck, George Hamilton, Bridge Club, Stateville Prison riot and more