Cop, police chief resign 2 days after Black motorist's death
A white Minnesota police officer who fatally shot a Black man during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb and the city's chief of police resigned Tuesday, moves that the mayor said he hoped would help heal the community and lead to reconciliation after two nights of protests and unrest.
Defense begins case in ex-cop's trial over Floyd's deathFormer Officer Derek Chauvin's lawyer suggested Tuesday that George Floyd may have suffered from "excited delirium" -- or what a witness described as a potentially lethal state of agitation and even superhuman strength that can be triggered by drug use, heart disease or mental problems.
U.S. recommends 'pause' for J&J shots in blow to vaccine driveThe U.S. is recommending a "pause" in using the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to investigate reports of potentially dangerous blood clots.
U.S. to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11President Joe Biden will withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on America that were coordinated from that country, U.S. officials said Tuesday.
EXPLAINER: How does an officer use a gun instead of a Taser?A suburban Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot a Black man during a weekend traffic stop accidentally drew her firearm instead of a stun gun, the city's police chief said Monday. Although rare, a string of similar incidents has happened in recent years across the U.S.
16 states back Alabama's challenge to Census privacy toolSixteen states are backing Alabama's challenge to a new method the Census Bureau is using in an effort to protect the privacy of people who participated in the head count
Official: Iran to enrich uranium to 60%, highest level everAn Iranian nuclear negotiator says Tehran will begin enriching uranium up to 60% purity after an attack on its Natanz nuclear facility
NATO vows to support Ukraine, warns Russia on troop buildupThe chief of NATO has expressed the Western military alliance's 'unwavering' support for Ukraine and warned Russia not to push its troop buildup along its border with the neighboring country
Kurds impose 10-day curfew in NE Syria amid coronavirus waveA 10-day curfew in areas controlled by U.S.-backed fighters in northeast Syria has gone into effect in an attempt to try limit the spread of coronavirus in the region
Ex-officer appeals 20-year sentence for killing Black manA former police officer serving 20 years in prison for killing an unarmed Black man running away from a South Carolina traffic stop said his lawyer never told him about a plea offer from prosecutors that could have cut years off his sentence
Analysis: Iran's powerful Guard faces scrutiny after attacksThe sabotage at Iran's main nuclear enrichment facility is just the latest setback for the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard
WHO urges pause in market sale of captured live wild animalsThe U.N. health agency is urging countries to suspend the sale of live animals captured from the wild in food markets as an emergency measure
Schneider: I won't share leadership roles with Republicans who deny Biden wonDemocratic U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider of Deerfield is making a stand and refusing to co-sponsor legislation or share leadership roles with Republicans who deny Joe Biden fairly won the 2020 presidential election. Fellow suburban lawmaker Sean Casten is taking a similar stance on some Republican members' proposals.
- 5:25 PMSchneider: I won't share leadership roles with Republicans who deny Biden won
- 4:57 PMBiden eulogizes slain officer as Capitol Police mourn again
- 4:55 PMCop, police chief resign 2 days after Black motorist's death
- 4:32 PMWheaton Public Library to host COVID-19 Q&A with Northwestern expert
- 4:31 PMSchaumburg cancels Prairie Arts Festival again
- 4:30 PMWhat you need to know about the J&J vaccine pause
- 4:28 PM'Prime suspect' arrested in student's 1996 disappearance
More Suburban News
- Des PlainesGun fired in Des Plaines robbery
- SportsArlington Park tickets go on sale at noon Thursday
- Round Lake BeachRound Lake Beach man sentenced to prison for 2018 burglary in Crystal Lake
- Lake in the HillsStreamwood man accused of firing gun in Lake in the Hills
- MundeleinMundelein looking to create special taxing district, redevelopment for south side corridor
- McHenry CountyMeet John Collins, newest member of the McHenry County Board
- St. CharlesBongard credits drive to improve Charlestowne Mall with St. Charles city council win
- NapervilleHow District 203 is trying to address in-person learning disruption from COVID-19
- Hoffman EstatesNorthwest Fourth-Fest in Hoffman Estates shelved for 2nd straight year
- Round Lake BeachLake County's largest COVID-19 vaccination site coming to Round Lake Beach next week
- BusinessCrain's: Northbrook Court's lender may be interviewing buyers for property
- RosemontRosemont adds fighting prohibition to local code
- BloomingdaleD1 Sports Training gym facility proposed for Bloomingdale
- Downers GrovePlainfield man sentenced to six months in jail for 2019 crash
- NewsCarol Stream District 93 looking to fill school board vacancies
We celebrated Easter, donated blood, made new friends and got more vaccines in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for April 3-9, 2021.
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: WrestleMania, Michael Jordan, slot car recing, canoe classes and more
The Week in Pictures photo galley for March 20-26, 2021 shows communities coming together for a varity of good reasons.