Analysis: In debate, a last chance for Trump to define Biden
As a presidential candidate in 2016, Donald Trump seized control of the White House race and never let go. He masterfully defined and denigrated his opponents with cutting nicknames and a say-anything debate style, and repeatedly drew his rivals into the controversies he created.
Ethics experts see national security concern in Trump's debtRevelations that President Donald Trump is personally liable for more than $400 million in debt are casting a shadow over his presidency that ethics experts say raises national security concerns he could be manipulated to sway U.S. policy by organizations or individuals he's indebted to.
Kentucky attorney general agrees to release grand jury tapes in Breonna Taylor caseKentucky's attorney general has agreed to release the recordings of the secret grand jury proceeding that considered charges against three officers involved in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor.
WHO, partners roll out faster COVID tests for poorer nationsThe World Health Organization announced Monday that it and leading partners have agreed to a plan to roll out 120 million rapid-diagnostic tests for the coronavirus to help lower- and middle-income countries make up ground in a testing gap with richer countries -- even if it's not fully funded yet.
New York City elementary schools reopen in big back-to-school testHundreds of thousands of elementary school students are heading back to classrooms Tuesday as New York City enters a high-stakes stage of resuming in-person learning during the coronavirus pandemic, which is keeping students at home in many other big U.S. school systems.
Worldwide grief: Death toll from coronavirus tops 1 millionNow, 8 1/2 months after an infection doctors had never seen before claimed its first victims in China, the pandemic's confirmed death toll has eclipsed 1 million, according to a count by Johns Hopkins University.
5 questions heading into Trump and Biden's first debate. Watch live at dailyherald.com tonight.President Donald Trump and his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, will meet on the debate stage for the first time Tuesday night in Cleveland. You can watch live coverage here starting at 5 p.m., with the candidates taking the stage at 8 p.m.
AP Interview: US ambassador defends tough approach to ChinaThe departing U.S. ambassador in Beijing is defending a tough approach to China that has riled relations between the world's two largest economies
Amnesty Int'l halts India operations, citing gov't reprisalsHuman rights watchdog Amnesty International says it is halting its operation in India, citing reprisals from the government and the freezing of its bank accounts by Indian authorities
United Arab Emirates to launch spacecraft to moon in 2024A top official in the United Arab Emirates says his country plans to send an unmanned spacecraft to the moon in 2024
Child poverty likely to increase in EU amid virus pandemicThe European Union's external auditor says child poverty has reached worrying levels across the world's largest trading bloc and is likely to get worse during the coronavirus pandemic
Pompeo voices support for talks between Greece, TurkeyU.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has expressed support for talks between Greece and Turkey, NATO allies whose relations have deteriorated sharply to the point where both had warships facing off in the Mediterranean
- 9:18 AMMarah Altenberg: Candidate profile, Lake County Board District 20
- 9:18 AMSoojae Lee: Candidate profile, Lake County Board District 20
- 9:17 AMLinda Pedersen: Candidate profile, Lake County Board District 1
- 9:17 AMChase A. Thomas: Candidate profile, Lake County Board District 1
- 9:05 AMState television: Kuwaiti ruler Sheikh Sabah has died at 91
- 9:01 AMAG agrees to release grand jury tapes in Breonna Taylor case
- 9:00 AMHow can I volunteer for a COVID-19 vaccine study?
More Suburban News
- Lake CountyTo stop 'Zoom bombing' of court proceedings, Lake County officials ditch Zoom
- EducationU-46 leaders discuss evolving plan for return to classrooms
- Hawthorn WoodsDevastating diagnosis sparks a singular mission for Hawthorn Woods woman
- St. CharlesThousands of Trump supporters attend rally Sunday at Kane County Fairgrounds
- PoliticsUnderwood, Oberweis spar over gun control, immigration
- PoliticsGOP House candidate wants to end Medicare, Medicaid
- NewsListening sessions on diversity in Arlington Heights scheduled
- NapervilleAuthor Rachel Hollis to discuss new book in virtual event
- St. CharlesRogina won't seek reelection as St. Charles mayor
- Prep SportsWW South's Harvey, Burlington Central's Schmidt tabbed for ITCCCA Hall of Fame
- Prep SportsGirls golf: St. Charles North grinds to DuKane title
- Prep SportsBoys golf: South Elgin, Neuqua Valley, Wheaton Academy claim conference titles
- BarringtonIn an effort to get creative during COVID-19, the village of Barrington will offer its first drive-in concert Friday night featuring the folk, pop and rock fusion of local favorite Pat McKillen.
- Glen EllynMural marks Glen Ellyn as center of the coming Fridamania
- BusinessIndoor climbing facility could be coming to Arlington Downs with help from tax break