Fighting between Israel, Hamas rages in Gaza's second-largest city, blocking aid from population
Israeli troops battled Hamas militants Wednesday in the center of the Gaza Strip's second-largest city, the military said, pressing a ground offensive that has sent tens of thousands of Palestinians fleeing to the territory's southernmost edge and prevented aid groups from delivering food, water and other supplies.
Washington's center of gravity on immigration has shifted to the right. Can the parties make a deal?It was a decade ago that Capitol Hill was consumed by an urgency to overhaul the nation's immigration system, fueled in no small part by Republicans who felt a political imperative to make inroads with minority voters by embracing more generous policies.
A court filing gives a rare look inside the FBI seizure of a lawmaker's phone in 2020 election probeJust how hard did some Republican members of Congress work to keep President Donald Trump in office after his 2020 election loss? A court case is providing a few tantalizing clues.
Trump tells supporters, 'Guard the vote.' Here's the phrase's back story and why it's raising concernFormer President Donald Trump is urging supporters to "guard the vote" during next year's election, a phrase that has set off alarm bells among pro-democracy advocates who say it signals permission to take extreme measures that could intimidate voters and threaten election workers.
After a fast start, COP28 climate talks now in murky middle of hope, roadblocksAfter a first-day blur of rare quick action and agreement, negotiators at a critical United Nations climate summit Wednesday finished up their first week in a more familiar place for them: the murky middle where momentum and roadblocks intertwine.
Las Vegas sheriff says at least 3 victims in university campus shootings, though conditions unknownA person opened fire Wednesday on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus, and at least three victims were taken to hospitals, according to police who reported the shooter was found dead.
Kevin McCarthy was booted as House speaker two months ago. Now he's leaving Congress by year's endTwo months after his historic ouster as U.S. House speaker, Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy said Wednesday that he is resigning and will leave Congress by the end of the year.
A pregnant Texas woman is asking a court to let her have an abortion under exceptions to state's banA pregnant Texas woman whose fetus has a fatal diagnosis asked a court Tuesday to let her have an abortion, bringing what her attorneys say is the first lawsuit of its kind in the U.S. since Roe v. Wade was overturned last year.
Russia's Putin is visiting the UAE and Saudi Arabia, seeking to bolster Moscow's Mideast cloutRussian President Vladimir Putin visited the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia on Wednesday in a lightning tour intended to raise Moscow's profile as a Middle East power broker, even as his war in Ukraine grinds on.
Suspect in custody after 6 dead and 3 injured in series of attacks in Texas, authorities sayTexas authorities on Wednesday charged a man with capital murder following a wave of daylong violence across two major cities that left six people dead and two police officers recovering from gunshots, including one who was shot in the leg outside a high school in Austin.
New signs emerge of 'widespread' sexual crimes by Hamas, as Netanyahu alleges global indifferenceWhile investigators are still trying to determine the scope of the sexual assaults, Israel's government is accusing the international community, particularly the United Nations, of ignoring the pain of Israeli victims.
Generation after generation, Israeli prison marks a rite of passage for Palestinian boysThe release of Palestinian prisoners under the Israel-Hamas cease-fire agreement last week has touched nearly everyone in the occupied West Bank, where 750,000 Palestinians have been arrested since 1967.
At tribal summit, Biden says he's working to 'heal the wrongs of the past' and 'move forward'President Joe Biden told Native American nations gathered for a summit Wednesday that his administration was working to heal the wrongs of the past as he signed an executive order that seeks to make it easier for Indigenous peoples to access federal funding, and have greater autonomy over how to spend it.
- 9:35 PMRivals target Nikki Haley in Republican debate, though absent Trump still frontrunner
- 8:49 PMJim O'Donnell: From Vegas overnight, former Daily Herald contributor sharpens sports gaming column
- 7:15 PMKevin McCarthy announces he's leaving Congress by year's end
- 6:45 PMNational affordable housing developer acquires Mount Prospect senior community
- 5:53 PMNo autopsies for suburban teens killed in crash near SIU
- 5:52 PM'It's important that we get it right': Mundelein High School won't seek facilities referendum in March
- 5:52 PMLake Zurich police to get first body worn cameras and in-car video and Tasers to be replaced
More Suburban News
- Mount ProspectNational affordable housing developer acquires Mount Prospect senior community
- Mundelein'It's important that we get it right': Mundelein High School won't seek facilities referendum in March
- Lake ZurichLake Zurich police to get first body worn cameras and in-car video and Tasers to be replaced
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates adjusts public works union contract to keep jobs competitive with neighbors
- South ElginAuthorities: Man charged after fleeing deputies, crashing into cornfield
- McHenry CountyAnother inmate death reported at McHenry County jail
- BataviaBatavia swears in new alderman
- GenevaGeneva's Delnor remodels ER to provide 4 rooms for mental health treatment
- Lake BarringtonDomanico's Steakhouse in Lake Barrington closing at end of the year
- Boys' BasketballBarrington's Tucker wins 500th game
- ElginElgin mayor addresses unfunded mandates, water quality and future of the dam
- Boys' BasketballMcCoy's last-second free throw lifts 7-0 Schaumburg past Prospect
- Girls' BasketballCrane lifts Batavia in third quarter of win over St. Charles North
- Prep SportsBarrington's O'Riordan, Adler team up for exciting win over Rolling Meadows
- BusinessCrystal Lake trucking company delays zoning request for proposed expansion