No injuries in early-morning fire in Elgin electrical vault
No injuries were reported from a fire in an underground electrical vault in Elgin Wednesday, authorities said.
The 5:30 a.m. fire on National Street was quickly extinguished after ComEd crews cut power to the vault, fire department Battalion Chief Terry Bruce said.
The ComEd power outage map showed about 230 customers without power around 6:30 a.m.; three hours later, the map reported no outages.
National Street was closed between Hendee Street and Grove Avenue while the fire department tended to the blaze, Bruce said.
ComEd officials were on scene quickly to fix the damage while fire crews monitored the situation, Fire Chief Dave Schmidt said. "Typically once they cut the power to the vault, whatever is short-circuiting goes out," he said. "We stand back and protect the area and let ComEd do its work."