Trump pardons ex-strategist Steve Bannon, dozens of others
President Donald Trump has pardoned former chief strategist Steve Bannon as part of a late flurry of clemency action benefiting nearly 150 people, including rap stars and former members of Congress.
Watch live: President Donald Trump's departure ceremonyDonald Trump will walk out of the White House and board Marine One for the last time as president Wednesday morning, leaving behind a nation bitterly divided.
Biden arrives for inauguration with big plans, big problemsPresident-elect Joe Biden made a sober entrance to the nation's capital Tuesday, ready to assume power as America reels from the coronavirus pandemic, soaring unemployment and grave concerns about more violence as he prepares to take the oath of office.
An inauguration unlike any other amid a pandemic, unrestInauguration Day for President-elect Joe Biden will look unlike anything the nation has seen before as the scars of COVID-19 and the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol turn the West Front into a virtual ghost town compared to years past.
Biden's first act: Orders on pandemic, climate, immigrationIn his first official acts as president, Joe Biden is signing executives orders on a broad range of issues, from the coronavirus pandemic to climate change and immigration, to fulfill campaign promises.
Facing crush of crises, Biden will take helm as presidentJoe Biden swears the oath of office at noon Wednesday to become the 46th president of the United States, taking the helm of a deeply divided nation and inheriting a confluence of crises arguably greater than any faced by his predecessors.
Hollywood returns: Gaga, J. Lo headline Biden inaugurationIt's a far cry from a normal inauguration, with Washington locked down due to security concerns, and most inaugural events gone virtual because of the raging coronavirus pandemic. But one thing is back that virtually disappeared four years ago: the A-list.
No-go for Joe Exotic: Trump pardon list omits 'Tiger King'Joe Exotic's team was so confident in a pardon that they'd readied a celebratory limousine and a hair and wardrobe team to whisk away the zookeeper-turned-reality-TV-star, who is now serving a 22-year federal prison sentence in Texas. But he wasn't on the list announced Wednesday morning
Indian village cheers for Harris before swearing-in as vice presidentPeople in a tiny Indian village surrounded by rice paddies flocked to a Hindu temple, burst crackers and uttered prayers Wednesday hours before its descendant, Kamala Harris, takes her oath of office to become the U.S. vice president.
EXPLAINER: Election claims, and why it's clear Biden wonAs Democrat Joe Biden is sworn in Wednesday as the nation's 46th president, Donald Trump's most ardent supporters still believe Biden was not legitimately elected after Trump continues to argue the election was stolen.
EU sighs with relief as Biden readies to enter White HouseThe European Union's top officials breathed a sigh of relief on Wednesday that Joe Biden will be taking over as president of the United States, but they warned that the world has changed after four years of Donald Trump and that trans-Atlantic ties will be different in the future.
- 7:55 AMNo-go for Joe Exotic: Trump pardon list omits 'Tiger King'
- 7:45 AMBelgium religious faiths want more worshippers at services
- 7:34 AM6 suspected militants killed in Russia's Chechnya
- 7:07 AMHollywood returns: Bruce, Garth, Gaga, J.Lo headline Biden inauguration
- 7:07 AMChina labels Pompeo 'doomsday clown' over genocide claims
- 6:42 AMTrump commutes sentence of ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick
- 6:27 AMZimbabwe's foreign minister dies of COVID-19 amid resurgence
More Suburban News
- WheelingWheeling couple latest recipients of local citizenship award
- RoselleConcerned Roselle residents say apartment complex will worsen traffic
- AuroraNaperville's Alive Center expanding satellite location in Aurora
- SchaumburgPolice investigate minor confrontation between Trump demonstrators in Schaumburg
- Buffalo GroveModified Cocoa Crawl still offers chocolate delights
- Mount ProspectDowntown Mount Prospect apartment proposal drawing concerns from neighbors
- GurneeGurnee library director offers to help encourage COVID-19 vaccinations
- Kane CountyKane County Board members consider lifting recreational pot ban
- AuroraAurora man charged with murder in Friday shooting
- North AuroraBerman steps down as North Aurora village president
- St. CharlesSkala, 97, enjoyed love of family, horses during long, 'charmed' life
- BusinessGlenview State Bank to be sold to Champaign bank's parent
- NewsFive more die of COVID-19 in Glenview, Northbrook
- Des PlainesDes Plaines may launch COVID-19 recovery fund for businesses
- BartlettBartlett awards grant for village's 1st bakery in 11 years
Eagle watching, skating and golf in the snow were a part of what Daily Herald photographers found in the Chicago suburbs and present to you here in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for January 8-15, 2021.
The cold weather helped us make beautiful photos for The Week in Pictures photo gallery for January 2-8, 2021.
Former Los Angeles Dodgers Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda died Thursday, January 7, 2020, at the age of 93.