Room makeover can be a much needed fresh start
This room screams chaos and indecision. Since my husband left me, I have felt nothing but stuck trying to figure out what to do to make this room more peaceful and serene. My nest is empty since my four children are grown and have their own homes.
Along with that I have recently lost my mother and one of my sisters. In helping to care for them when they were sick, it became difficult to know what to do for myself. I have lived in this house for 40 years. Twenty-five years ago, we converted two bedrooms into a family room. It has never looked the way I wanted it to. I always ended up with somebody else's castoff furniture.
I would love to win new furnishings just to help inspire me to move on and to enjoy this room where I spend a lot of time.
Design by O'Reilly's Furniture
Expert: Michael Walsh, owner, oreillysfurniture.com
Our plan with this room is to help organize this space to make it relaxing and peaceful. We are looking to keep the design simple and minimal. Start by taking out all the existing furniture pieces, area rug and window treatments.
• Starting with the seating, we would like to use the Monroe collection from England Furniture Co. This line includes a sectional, sofa, love seat and chair. The size of the room will dictate the pieces. By the looks of this photo, it looks like a smaller space so we are going to suggest the Monroe sofa in solid color fabric that will rest on the longer wall in the room.
• To add more personality to the space, we are suggesting a 35-inch stationary chair from Smith Brothers that is available in number of different fabrics. The structured style of this chair in a complementary fabric offers a clean look, yet great for creating a reading nook in this room.
• To make this space one people want to stay in and relax during the long winter season, we want to add a fireplace. While the ideal would be to add a real fireplace, there is an easier option that can add the warmth and ambience of a fire without the expense. Amish Furniture makes a 60-inch fireplace TV cabinet with an electric fireplace insert.
• A storage ottoman provides a footrest, as well as blanket storage.
• Final touches would include a solid color plush area rug to connect the space, end tables and lighting.