'Hamilton' to conclude Chicago run in January 2020
The wildly popular Chicago production of "Hamilton" will close in January after more than three years, producers announced Thursday.
The final block of tickets goes on sale at 10 a.m. today for performances through Jan. 5, 2020.
Chicago's acclaimed production of Lin-Manuel Miranda's blockbuster bio-tuner -- starring Miguel Cervantes as Founding Father and first treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton -- marked the first outside New York. Performances began Sept. 27, 2016, at what was then the PrivateBank Theatre and is now the CIBC Theatre.
Closing the Chicago production was not an impulsive decision, it was a strategic one, said producer Jeffrey Seller, who doesn't want to see the show play to 60 or 70 percent capacity.
"I wish to go out as a triumphant success," he said. "If I go out in January, I go out on a tremendous high with a tremendous sense of achievement."
"Our chief mission has always been to make 'Hamilton' as accessible to as many people as possible," he said. "More people have seen 'Hamilton' in Chicago than have seen 'Hamilton' on any other venue, including Broadway. We needed Chicago to get 'Hamilton' to the people for whom it was intended."
By the time the run concludes in a little more than seven months, "Hamilton" will have played more than 1,300 performances and will have been seen by more than 2.6 million people, according to producers.
No word yet on the status of "Hamilton: The Exhibition," a companion installation/historical diorama/exhibit that opened last month at Northerly Island in Chicago. Seller says he hopes "the exhibition sticks around."
But he acknowledges its duration may depend on the public response to it over the summer months.
"Hamilton" tickets are available at the box office at 18 W. Monroe St., Chicago, and at (800) 775-2000 or broadwayinchicago.com.