Roselle couple soon to enjoy new outdoor digs
A couple with two grown sons who have lived in their Roselle home for 22 years are the winners of the 2018 Daily Herald "Get Your Summer On" contest. Jill and Don Gross will soon have a beautifully furnished deck and a much-improved backyard because they have won an outdoor furniture/landscaping/party/mosquito treatment package valued at more than $12,500.
A second-grade teacher at Trinity Lutheran School in Roselle, Jill entered the contest this spring after reading about previous Daily Herald contests and regretting the fact that she hadn't entered.
She wrote, "Our deck is sad, unused, dreary and empty. Our deck furniture was over 30 years old, and slowly fell apart, piece by piece. The deck itself is large, open and airy."
But, she continued, "To sit out there we have to go into the garage and pull out folding camp chairs, which must then go back into the garage so they are not ruined by rain. When I think about all that, I say to myself, 'Forget it. I'll just sit inside and look out the window.'
"I would love to have something bright and fun in turquoise, something that says, 'Come on out and enjoy the sun!' Furniture that can live outside and not get ruined by the weather would be perfect," the letter went on.
"My husband would love a small herb garden and a very comfortable chair that would accommodate his 6-foot-4-inch frame. I would be happy with a chair and a side table," Jill concluded.
The deck's original redwood furniture came from Don's parents when they bought a new set, she explained, but it all fell apart several years ago and the deck has been empty ever since. "Even our sons feel badly when they think about our deck," she revealed.
Now Jill and Don, a quality engineer for Northrop Grumman in Rolling Meadows, are very excited about getting an "outside room" they can enjoy when the weather cooperates.
During the course of the contest, 15 finalists were named, and featured with design selections from our experts. All 15 finalists will be receiving $50 gift cards for Northwest Metalcraft and Blain's Farm & Fleet.
The grand-prize package for the Grosses includes:
• Landscape design and product from A Garden Guy Landscaping, valued at up to $2,500.
• Tropitone Montreux Cushion Patio Set (sofa, love seat, swivel action lounger ad bench ottoman combo) from Northwest Metalcraft, valued at $5,100.
• Fold & Store Dining Set with cushions and cover from Lurvey Garden Center, valued at $1,299.
• Mosquito treatment for the season from Mosquito Hunters, valued at $1,000.
• $100 gift card from Binny's Beverage Depot.
• $200 gift card from Lurvey Garden Center.
• $2,500 Weber on Wheels BBQ Party from Weber Grill Restaurants (includes food, staff and on-site grilling production).