Where to watch movies under the stars this summer in suburbs
The suburbs offer many opportunities to see recent and classic movies under the stars on large screens. Here are just a few of the outdoor movie series available this summer. Don't forget to bring blankets, snacks and insect repellent. All showings are free, though some venues sell refreshments. Showings may be canceled or rescheduled in case of inclement weather.
• Aurora's Movies in the Park Summer Series films begin at 8 p.m. at the Phillips Park Sledding Hill next to the Phillips Park Aquatic Center, 1150 Howell Place, Aurora. There are family activities, including music, dancing and giveaways, before each movie. Concession stands will be open and parking is available on site. Upcoming films include "Breaking Legs" on Saturday, July 7, the story of a high school freshman who joins the dance team and finds herself in a sudden rivalry with the lead dancer (NR); and "Coco," on Saturday, July 21, the Disney/Pixar production about a boy who dreams of becoming a musician and who travels to the Land of the Dead (PG). Visit www.aurora-il.org.
• The Buffalo Grove Park District presents Movies Under The Stars at dusk at Willow Stream Park, 651 Old Checker Road, Buffalo Grove. Upcoming movies include "The Nut Job" on Friday, July 6, the tale of a squirrel who seeks to burgle a nut shop (PG); and "Sherlock Gnomes" on Friday, July 27, the sequel to "Gnomeo and Juliet," in which the titular garden gnome detective must solve a case (PG). Visit bgparks.org.
• The Elmhurst Park District's Movies in the Park nights start with family crafts at 7:30 p.m. and films at dusk at Wilder Park, 175 Prospect Ave., Elmhurst. Free popcorn is offered, with food truck vendors on site. See "Moana" on Friday, July 13, Disney's tale of an adventurous teenager who leaves her island home on a quest (PG); and "101 Dalmatians" on 7:30 p.m. Aug. 10, the Disney classic about a very large family of dogs (G). Visit epd.org.
• The Geneva Park District's 2018 Movies in the Park start at dusk, approximately 8-8:30 p.m. Concessions will be available for purchase. Upcoming films include "Justice League" on Aug. 2 in Island Park, 2 Route 25, Geneva, in which Batman, Wonder Woman and other heroes from DC Comics team up to save the world (PG-13). Visit www.genevaparks.org.
• Hanover Park's Movie in the Park events run from 8 to 11 p.m. at Heritage Park, Arlington Drive West and Santa Anita Drive. Activities are planned before the start of the movies. Refreshments for sale. See "The Lion King" on Friday, July 13, the Disney classic about a young lion (G); and "Coco" on Aug. 10, preceded by a Cops Day party with the Hanover Park Police Department from 5-7:30 p.m. Visit hp60.org.
• The village of Hawthorn Woods presents its Movies in the Park series at dusk at Hawthorn Woods Community Park, 5 Park View Lane. Upcoming films include "Smurfs: The Lost Village" on Friday, July 20, a fully animated adventure of the well-known tiny blue creatures on a quest to find more of their kind (PG); and "The Emoji Movie" on Friday, Aug. 17. Visit vhw.org.
• Lake Zurich's Movies in the Park are from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. at Paulus Park, 200 South Rand Road, Lake Zurich. Popcorn and drinks will be available. On July 6, see "Despicable Me 3," the third movie in the series about on-again, off-again supervillain Gru. Visit lakezurich.org.
• In Mount Prospect, Capannari Ice Cream's Movies Under the Stars are shown at dusk at Centennial Green Village Hall, 50 S. Emerson St. Free parking in Emerson Street Garage at village hall and throughout town. Upcoming movies include "Peter Rabbit" on Wednesday, July 11, in which a resourceful rabbit comes into conflict with the new owner of a local vegetable garden (PG); and "Coco" on Aug. 1. Visit capannaris.com/events.
• The Mundelein Park and Recreation District's Movies in the Park events take place from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. at Community Park, 1401 N. Midlothian Road, Mundelein. Upcoming movies include "Cars 3" on Thursday, July 19, the third movie in Pixar's series about a world populated by cars where race car Lightning McQueen trying to regain his past glory (G); and "Coco" on Thursday, Aug. 9. Visit mundeleinparks.org.
• The Palatine Park District will host Outdoor Family Movie Night at dusk, around 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 9, at the Fred P. Hall Amphitheater, 256 E. Palatine Road, Palatine. Refreshments will be available for purchase, including soft drinks and popcorn. The featured movie will be "Coco." Visit www.palatineparks.org.
• South Elgin Movies in the Park events start with concessions available at 6:30 p.m. and the movies at dusk in various parks in South Elgin. Upcoming films include "Coco" on June 30 at SEBA Park, 151 Water St.; "Ferdinand" on Aug. 4 at Jim Hansen Park, 338 Valley Forge Ave., the story of a bull who doesn't want to take part in bullfights (PG); and "Paddington" on Sept. 8 at SEBA Park, the adventures of the world famous talking bear (PG). Visit www.southelgin.com.