Sound check: Skyline series brings Seven Corners to BaseCamp
Seven Corners heads for the Skyline
Naperville's Seven Corners was a crowd-pleaser with deep-digging, unapologetic alternative rock at last summer's Homegrown Arts & Music Festival (Want a taste? Check out "Firestorm" off last year's EP, "Judgement."). Founder Aaron Williams is bringing the band back to headline February's Skyline Music Concert Series at BaseCamp Pub along with pop-rock by Caitlin Edwards and Blameless Lake's alternative sound. BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $6. (331) 777-4712 or aaronwilliamsmusic.com. 8:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23
Blacklist Regulars' benefit preshow
Chicago rock band Blacklist Regulars is counting down to its March 10 show at Plainfield's Rockstar Garage with a benefit preshow at Alter Brewing Co. in Downers Grove. The first 100 people to the acoustic show Friday, Feb. 23, will receive a free download of Blacklist Regulars' EP; VIP ticket giveaways for the Rockstar garage show, raffle prizes and a 50/50 raffle will also be on hand. Proceeds will go directly to #CHADeffect, a nonprofit organization awarding scholarships to underprivileged youth in the Chicago area. Alter Brewing Co., 2300 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 213, Downers Grove. $10-$15. (630) 541-9558 or alterbrewing.com. 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23
Up and At Them! A Benefit to End MS
Wheaton native Johnny Perona's personal crusade to help fight Multiple Sclerosis -- Up and At Them! A Benefit to End MS -- is heading into its fifth year raising funds for critical research. This edition, at Chicago's Beat Kitchen and hosted by Chicago musician Leslie Beukelman. features raffle prizes and music from Davenport Ed, Algernon and She Rides Tigers, all in the name of raising money for the cause. (Remote donations can also be made directly at the DIY Fundraising site, main.nationalmssociety.org.) Beat Kitchen, w2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago. $15. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com. 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24
Fight Night for Sarah!
Side Street Studio Arts is hosting a benefit show for Sarah Norris, a friend of the studio who was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The night features live music from Beach Bunny, Mt. Pocono and Evening Glow, along with special shirts and jewelry sales, a raffle and a silent auction, featuring work by many of the artists, photographers and actors affiliated with the Side Street Studio and the local arts community. Donations to help defray Sarah's medical expenses can also be made at gofundme.com. Side Street Studio Arts, 15 Ziegler Court, Elgin. $5 donation at the door. (847) 429-2276 or sidestreetstudioarts.org. 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24
• Wintercamp 2018: 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Feb, 23 and 24, at Logan Square Auditorium, 2539 N. Kedzie Blvd., Chicago. Friday features Hexes, Woody Goss, Sidewalk Chalk, Chicago Loud 9, Astro Samurai, Deep Fayed and Larry Miller; Saturday's lineup is VERSE, DJ noDJ, Knower, Bifunkal, Bronson Rock, O. R. They?, Cole DeGenova, Larry Miller; KAVA performs in The Loft both days. $30 Friday, $30 Saturday, $50 for full-fest pass. (773) 252-6179 or wintercamp2018.brownpapertickets.com.
• Chase Aways, The Linden Method, Rotten Mouth, Invictus, Torch the Hive: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $10. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Scotch The Filmmaker, Gills, The Dracu-LAHS, The Weathermakers: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, at Subterranean, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $8. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• Hitmen: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $5. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Winter Roots 2018: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, and 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, at Mackey's Hideout, 2601 S. River Road, McHenry. Friday features River Valley Rangers, Justin Wells, Concrete roots (acoustic) and Snake Oil Bandits; The Leadfoot Band, Miles Over Mountains, The Grateful String Band, Armchair Boogie, Rowdy Souls. $10 each night. (815) 363-7040 or mackeyshideout.com.
• The Waco Brothers, Nicholas Tremulis Orchestra: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, at BrauerHouse Live, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $15-$18. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Big Something, Chachuba: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, at Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $15-$17. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Nation featuring Jay Nem, TECKO, COEXST, Eddie Riot, Mark A. Matras, Joe Buddha Fischer: 10 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23, at Exit, 1315 W. North Ave., Chicago. $5; free before midnight. (773) 395-2700 or exit-chicago.com.
• Future Thieves, Ember Oceans, Fall Classic: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, at Subterranean Downstairs, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• Ani DiFranco, Gracie and Rachel: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, at Park West, 322 W. Armitage Ave., Chicago. $40. (773) 929-1322 or parkwestchicago.com.
• Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, at the Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. $42-$52. (312) 462-6300 or msg.com.
• 7th heaven, Charlie Foxtrot: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, at Joe's Live, 5441 Park Place, Rosemont. $10. (847) 261-0392 or joesliverosemont.com.
• Winter Wonder Rock, featuring The King of Mars, Wilde, Tomorrow Never Dies, Observing With Annie, Could've Been Worse, The Recall, Endearme, Abzu, Black Water Reservoir, Social Que, The Remnant: 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25, at Reggies Rock Club, 2109 S. State St., Chicago. $10-$15. (312) 949-0120 or reggieslive.com.
• Ezra Furman and The Visions, Saint Pe, Anna Burch: 8:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 26, at Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St., Chicago. $16-$20. (312) 526-3851 or thaliahallchicago.com.
• Stu Hamm, Sons of Ra: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 1, at Reggies Rock Club, 2109 S. State St., Chicago. $20. (312) 949-0120 or reggieslive.com.
• Replay: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, at Peggy Kinnane's, 8 N. Vail Ave., Arlington Heights. Free. (847) 577-7733 or peggykinnanes.com.
• Mer's Music Showcase: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Eidola, Capstan, Andrés, When We Was Kids, Davlin: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28, at Subterranean, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $12. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• Old 97's, Cody Canada & The Departed, Matthew Ryan: 7 p.m. Thursday, March 1, at Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St., Chicago. $25-$60. (312) 526-3851 or thaliahallchicago.com.
• Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor. You can follow him on Twitter at @BShamieDH. Listen to Brian's "2018 Chicago Sound Check vol. 1" Spotify playlist for a sampling of many of the local bands he's written about for the Daily Herald recently.