Sound check: Ember Oceans brings new sound to Nellie's
Ember Oceans back home at Nellie's
Ember Oceans has maintained its place as a rising star on the Chicago-area indie pop scene with catchy songs, a champagne-bubbly energy, and a fun, tropical aesthetic. But growth is a part of life, and the Palatine foursome is tackling adulthood head-on, injecting their newer songs with more mature emotion and bringing a darker and funkier rock vibe into the mix. Catch some of their new songs when the guys play an all-ages hometown show at Durty Nellie's, joined by the sugarcoated croonings of August Hotel and The Giving Moon's bouncy jams. 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Durty Nellie's, 180 N. Smith St., Palatine. $10. (847) 358-9150 or durtynellies.com.
Revolt Coda, Vesper at HOB
If you haven't seen Revolt Coda play live before, come prepared for a fun show. The energetic foursome -- led by Naperville's Zac Conforti -- is electric on stage, and their catchy jams keep them at the forefront of Chicago's hard-rock scene. They've had a good year, recording some new tracks and a video, as well as getting stage time at SXSW; hopefully kicking off 2018 headlining Chicago's House of Blues promises even bigger things to come. Catch the guys when they play with Vesper, Security Culture, Trick Shooter Social Club and The Dirty Miners. 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 4, at House of Blues, 329 N. Dearborn St., Chicago. $10-$15. (312) 923-2000 or houseofblues.com.
'Stop the Insanity'
Alternative rock band Social Que headlines the "Stop the Insanity" Suicide Awareness Show to benefit Stand Up Speak Now, a suburban-based anti-bullying organization. The Reggies Rock Club show also features Where's Fernando?, Stratford, When We Was Kids and Infamous Martyrs. Come hear some great local music and support a good cause! 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 6, at Reggies Rock Club, 2105 S. State St., Chicago. $10-$12. (312) 949-0120 or reggieslive.com.
West suburban rock band Take the Reins releases its new vinyl albums at BrauerHouse Saturday, Jan. 6.
- Courtesy of Take the Reins
Take the Reins vinyl release
Courtney Boyers, the vocalist for West suburban-based Take the Reins, knows how to deliver a tender beatdown with soaring melodies that really pack a punch. Good thing, too, since the musicians who played on the band's new album, "Addiction by Subtraction," aren't holding back. The band -- rounded out by Matt Benson, Dave Burke, Dan Duffy and Erik Hilger -- embued the recent album with a driving energy that firmly complements Boyers' vocals. The album has recently been given the vinyl treatment, which is available at Take the Reins' Bandcamp site and is being released at the show. The lineup includes headliners Death & Memphis, Blood People and Mystery Actions, so it's going to be a great night to be at BrauerHouse. 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 6, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $6-$8. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• The Obsessives, Bleary Eyed, What Gives, Jaclyn Heuser, The Off Days: 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. $10. (312) 226-6300 or cobralounge.com.
• Kirko Bangz: 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $20-$35. (331) 777-4712 or ticketfly.com.
• Honey and the 45s, Scotch the Filmmaker, Element, Neon Creek: 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $10-$15. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Jonnycatland, Dead Harvest, Aunt Kelly, J Eastman and the Drunk Uncles, As Am I: 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Elbo Room, 2871 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $9-$10. (773) 549-5549 or elboroomlive.com.
• Still IL, Hitsleep, Out For Hours, Frank Liston: 8:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $10. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• My Double Life, Roxy Swain, Frosting, Gills: 8:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Wire, 6815 W. Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $10. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Pop Punk Night with There Goes the Neighborhood acoustic: 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at H.O.M.E. Bar, 1227 E. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. Check with venue for further information. (847) 749-0253 or homebarchicago.com.
• Jocelyn & Chris Arndt: 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $5-$7. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Lucille Furs, The Evening Attraction, Capital Soiree, Cadien Lake James (Twin Peaks), Matt Williams (Post Animal): 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5, at Schubas Tavern, 3159 N. Southport Ave., Chicago. $10-$12. (773) 525-2508 or lh-st.com.
• 7th heaven: 10 p.m. (doors at 8 p.m.) Saturday, Jan. 6, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $7. (331) 777-4712 or ticketweb.com.
• Chelusier, Mother Earth, Armadillo, The Recall, Angels of Duality, Evasion: 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 7 at Wire, 6815 W. Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $8-$10. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Dude Same, Juice Cleanse, Girl K: 9 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 7, at Schubas Tavern, 3159 N. Southport Ave., Chicago. Free. (773) 525-2508 or lh-st.com.
• Ballroom Boxer, Doublespeak, The Glass Eyes: 8 p.m. Monday, Jan. 8, at Schubas Tavern, 3159 N. Southport Ave., Chicago. Free. (773) 525-2508 or lh-st.com.
• Courtesy, Desert Liminal, Bell Push: 8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 9, at Schubas Tavern, 3159 N. Southport Ave., Chicago. Free. (773) 525-2508 or lh-st.com.
• MER's Music Showcase: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 10, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Adelitas Way, Deadset Society, Manafest, Late Night Fights, Blacklist Regulars: 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 11, at The Forge, 22 W. Cass St., Joliet. $15-$45. (815) 280-5246 or
• Lana Del Rey "LA to the Moon Tour": 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 11, at United Center, 1901 W. Madison St., Chicago. $39.50-$125. (800) 745-3000 or unitedcenter.com.
• Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor. You can follow him on Twitter at @ThatShamieGuy. Listen to Brian's "2017 Chicago Sound Check" Spotify playlist for a sampling of many of the local bands he included in the Daily Herald last year.