Weekly picks: 'White Christmas' warms Cadillac Palace stage
Great American carols, including "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm," "Happy Holiday" and more, are featured in the 2008 Broadway musical "Irving Berlin's White Christmas," which returns for a touring run at the Cadillac Palace Theatre, 151 W. Randolph St., Chicago. $18-$100. (800) 775-2000 or broadwayinchicago.com. 2 and 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 22; no show Thursday, Nov. 23; 2 and 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Nov. 24 and 25; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
'Uncle Lar' returns
Local comedian Larry Reeb returns to unleash plenty of sarcasm in his standup shows this week starting Wednesday at Zanies at Pheasant Run Resort, 4051 E. Main St., St. Charles. $22, plus a two-item purchase. (630) 524-0001 or stcharles.zanies.com. 8 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, Nov. 22 and 24; 7:30 and 9:45 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
Black Wednesday concerts
If you're not responsible for the turkey next week, there's a chance you might be looking to bond with some friends or family members without all the nap-inducing side dishes. See our roundup for some Black Wednesday shows in the suburbs and Chicago to work up your appetite on the night before Thanksgiving.
The Student Body brings the music for your Black Wednesday celebration at Naperville's Empire Burger Bar.
- Courtesy of John Barry/Big Time Photo
Those not shopping on Black Friday can take a hike at the Stillman Nature Center, 33 W. Penny Road, South Barrington. A 2 p.m. guided hike with a Stillman naturalist includes a visit to see some of the center's birds of prey. Free. stillmannc.org. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24
Families can delight in the return of the Chicago Botanic Garden's Wonderland Express. Miniature trains loop around models of Chicago-area landmarks starting this weekend at the Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake-Cook Road, Glencoe. $13; $10 seniors and kids ages 3-12; $25-$30 parking. (847) 835-5440 or chicagobotanic.org. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, to Friday, Dec. 22; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 23, to Sunday, Jan. 7 (3 p.m. early closing Dec. 1, 18, 24; closed Dec. 25)
The Wonderland Express returns with model trains and miniature Chicago-area landmarks, such as the Baha'i Temple, at the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe.
- Courtesy of Chicago Botanic Garden
Light Up the Park
Rosemont's MB Financial Park, 5500 Park Place, kicks off the holidays with the opening of its ice rink and its Light Up The Park tree-lighting event on Friday, Nov. 24. The NHL-sized ice rink opens at 11 a.m. Light Up The Park, which runs from 5 to 7 p.m., includes visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, ice-carving demonstrations and free horse-drawn sleigh rides. The Chicago Skates synchronized skating team performs before the 80,000 holiday lights will be turned on in the park. Free admission to the rink; skate rental is $8. For details on skating through Thursday, Jan. 4, visit rosemont.com/mbfinancialpark/entertainment/.
Get ideas for making holiday decorations at the Festival of Art & Craft Shows this weekend at the Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Road, Grayslake. $5. (847) 680-7200 or stepbysteppromotions.com. 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
The New Age Americans headline EvenFlow Geneva Friday, Nov. 24, with The Local and Fredo Disco.
- Courtesy of New Age Americans
New Age Americans, up-and-coming rockers from West Chicago and Bartlett, are working hard to deliver a new album, out for streaming this Sunday on Spotify and iTunes. In the meantime, catch some of the new tunes the young quartet has been working on when the band plays EvenFlow in Geneva, supported by The Local and Downers Grove's Fredo Disco. EvenFlow, 302 W. State St., Geneva. $5. (331) 248-0269 or evenflowmusic.com. 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24
Who's neXt2Rock at Joe's?
Celebrate rock on Black Friday when Chicago radio legend James VanOsdol and Joe's Live in Rosemont host the neXt2rock Chicago Finals, where 10 stellar area bands will duke it out to move on to the national finals. An $8 ticket, with proceeds going to the Greater Chicago Food Depository, nets you sets from finalists The Bishop's Daredevil Stunt Club, Black Bear Rodeo, Brent Brown, Bullet to the Heart, Comfort Scarcity, The Evictions, Kerosene Stars, Marina City, OUTDrejas and Punch Cabbie. Joe's Live, 5441 Park Place, Rosemont. $8. (847) 261-0392 or joesliverosemont.com. 7:30 p.m. (doors at 6) Friday, Nov. 24
North of Eight, Rebel Soul Revival at Skyline series
BaseCamp Pub in Lisle hosts another installment of the Skyline Music Concert Series, with a Black Friday edition featuring the crazy energy of North of Eight's jamfest, funk-influenced Southern rockers Rebel Soul Revival and alternative rocker and founder of the feast, Aaron Williams. Work off that pumpkin pie with a night of great original music. BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $6. (331) 777-4712 or aaronwilliamsmusic.com. 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24
Shawn Wayans performs at the Improv Comedy Showcase in Schaumburg.
- Associated Press, 2013
Wayans at Woodfield
Fans of films such as "Scary Movie" and "White Chicks" won't want to miss seeing Shawn Wayans perform standup this weekend at the Improv Comedy Showcase, 5 Woodfield Road, Schaumburg. $33 plus a two-item purchase. (847) 240-2001 or chicago.improv.com. 8 and 10:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24; 7 and 9:15 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
The rocking ensemble String Cheese Incident ("Stop Drop Roll," "So Much Fun") takes up residence this weekend at the Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. $74.95. (800) 745-3000 or thechicagotheatre.com. 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Nov. 24 and 25
Wedding Banned, which performs cover songs from Bon Jovi, Heart, Tom Petty and others, takes the stage Friday at the House of Music and Entertainment, 1227 N. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. $5-$10. (847) 577-4663 or homebarchicago.com. 10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24
Peruse booths full of collectible toys, comics, albums and more at the Chicago Pop Culture Convention this weekend at the Pheasant Run Resort Mega Center, 4051 E. Main St., St. Charles. $10 one-day admission; $15 two-day admission. (715) 526-9769 or chicagopopculturecon.com. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
Long Grove celebrates
Long Grove begins its annual vintage holiday celebration on Friday, Nov. 24, with several weekends of events at Robert Parker Coffin and Old McHenry roads. The fun includes appearances by Mr. and Mrs. Claus, free horse-drawn carriage rides, strolling costumed carolers, decorated Christmas trees and more. Free. longgrove.org. Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 17
See the musical adaptation of "Arnie the Doughnut," based on the 2003 children's book by Laurie Keller, at Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave., Chicago. A doughnut named Arnie is purchased from a bakery by Mr. Bing. When Bing tries to eat Arnie, surprises begin. $15. lifelinetheatre.com. 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 25-26
Chill at Chillfest
The Wicker Park Bucktown Chamber of Commerce is heating up the weekend with the fifth edition of its popular Chillfest, a day when 27 storefront businesses and restaurants throughout the neighborhood shield you from the cold with an afternoon of free acoustic performances from more than 60 area musicians. Plant yourself at a favorite location or spend the day venue-hopping to catch some great performers. Visit wickerparkbucktown.com for the full schedule of venues and musicians. 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
Land of sweets
Fox Valley Ballet stages its spin on the classic Tchaikovsky Christmas ballet with "The Fox Valley Nutcracker" this weekend at the Batavia Fine Arts Centre, 1201 Main St., Batavia. $40 VIP seats; $25-$35; $20-$30 kids ages 10 and under. (630) 232-0683 or foxvalleynutcracker.com. 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
Linda Eder will perform at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in Skokie.
Broadway and singing star Linda Eder ("Jekyll & Hyde") shows off her amazing vocal range in concert on Saturday at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. $68-$75. (847) 673-6300 or northshorecenter.org. 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
Spin through more than a mile of animated light displays with the Aurora Festival of Lights, which returns this weekend at Phillips Park, 1000 Ray Moses Drive. No admission charge, but donations welcome. (630) 709-8503 or aurorafestivaloflights.com. 5 to 9 p.m. Sunday to Thursday; 5 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday; Nov. 24 to Dec. 26
• Madina Lake, That Lying (Expletive), Marina City, El Famous: 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. $20. (312) 226-6300 or cobralounge.com.
• The Verve Pipe "I've Suffered A Pop Smear" acoustic performance: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., Chicago. $28-$40. (312) 733-9463 or citywinery.com.
• Face The Fire, Sky Machine, One Steel Wound, 9th Street Memory: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $10. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Moon Money & The Darbles: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at MT Barrels, 1712 W. Wise Road, Schaumburg. $5. (847) 285-1169 or mtbarrelsbar.com.
• The String Cheese Incident: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Nov. 24 and 25, at the Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. $74.95. (312) 462-6300 or msg.com.
• Princegiving -- A Live Prince Tribute: 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at Durty Nellie's, 1809 N. Smith St., Palatine. $10-$19.99. (847) 358-9150 or durtynellies.com.
• Twenty Over: 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at Bannerman's Sports Grill, 858 IL-59, Bartlett. Check with venue for ticket info. (630) 213-2400 or bannermanssportsgrill.com.
• Cannonball: 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, at FitzGerald's Sidebar, 6615 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $5 donation. (708) 788-2118 or fitzgeraldsnightclub.com.
• Vienna Boys' Choir: 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Symphony Center, 220 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago. $25-$85. (312) 294-3000 or cso.org.
• Kurt Elling: 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., Chicago. $38-$50. (312) 733-9463 or citywinery.com.
• Local H, The Run Around: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Tailgaters, 431 W. Boughton Road, Bolingbrook. $10-$20. (630) 679-1994 or tailgatersgrill.com.
• Saba: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at House of Blues, 329 N. Dearborn St., Chicago. $18-$20. (312) 923-2000 or houseofblues.com.
• BiG SUiT -- A Tribute To Talking Heads: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. $25. (847) 577-2121 or metropolisarts.com.
• Heartache Tonight -- A Tribute to the Eagles: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Raue Center for the Arts, 26 N Williams Street, Crystal Lake. $25-$35. (815) 356-9212 or rauecenter.org.
• Cadillac Casanovas: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Frankie's Blue Room, 16 Chicago Ave., Naperville. $7. (630) 416-4898 or frankiesblueroom.net.
• Squeeze, Wesley Stace: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $40-$60. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Linda Eder: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. $68-$75. (847) 679-9501 or northshorecenter.org.
• After The Fight, Fetch The Burn Book, From The Start: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Burlington, 3425 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago. Check with venue for ticket info. (773) 384-3243 or theburlingtonbar.com.
• Damaged Justice (Metallica Tribute), Sixxx (Motley Crue Tribute): 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $8-$10. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Twista, Bekoe, Gee Dubb, Mayfair Mafia, DJ Crazy Eddie: 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Wire, 6815 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $25-$200. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Observing With Annie, The Shindiggas, Waves Shore, Sage: 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26, at Wire, 6815 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $8-$10. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Vinyl Theatre, Patternist, The Giving Moon: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29, at Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago. $12-$15. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com.
Information is provided by entertainment venues. Check with venue before purchasing tickets. For more concert listings, visit dailyherald.com/calendar.