Sound check: Old 97's check in at Durty Nellie's Saturday
Old 97's at Nellie's
The Old 97's, one of the vanguards of the mid-'90s alt-country movement, has been consistently digging deep into the psyches of their songs' varied narrators since their debut album in 1994. But thanks to a perceptive colleague with a good ear for what I might like, "Fight Songs" from 1999 is my go-to album when I need my Old 97's fix. The band is heading to Palatine's Durty Nellie's this weekend while out on tour with Nashville singer-songwriter Lilly Hiatt. Durty Nellie's, 180 N. Smith St., Palatine. $23-$25; $140 for four-seat VIP table. (847) 358-9150 or durtynellies.com. 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21
Music Makes You Think
Born from an online music-discussion community, Music Makes You Think is taking it to the streets with a showcase of Chicago-area musicians at Two Brothers Roundhouse in Aurora. Meet and greet artists from Blameless Lake, Hop On Pop, 4 Aces and a Queen, Stellar West and The Bare Hambones before checking out some great tunes. Two Brothers Roundhouse, 205 N. Broadway, Aurora. $5 suggested donation. (630) 264-2739, twobrothersbrewing.com or musicmakesyouthink.com. 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21
RocHaus opens with Living Color
At long last, the RocHaus is playing the music and lighting the lights at the site of West Dundee's former Clearwater Theater. The first show, Tuesday, Oct. 24, in the newly renovated theater is hard-rock band Living Colour on their "SHADE in the USA Tour," with special guests Man The Mighty. Check out the new venue on the river and catch some fun throwback tunes at this 21-and-older show. RocHaus, 96 W. Main St., West Dundee. $20-$35. (815) 893-9768 or rochaus.com. 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 24
DJ and comedian Dillon Francis headlines Saturday, Oct. 28, at the Aragon Ballroom as part of the Freaky Deaky Halloween music weekend.
Get Freaky Deaky
Freaky Deaky is back to take over your Halloween weekend with four shows over three nights at two venerated Chicago venues. Experimental electronic producer Kayzo kicks things off Thursday, Oct. 26, at Concord Hall. Friday night, you get to choose between U.K. house duo Gorgon City at Concord and Oliver Heldens with Klingande at the Aragon. Saturday night, all Freaky Deakers can gather at the Aragon for DJ/comedian Dillon Francis. Tickets range from $20-$45 for the various events. 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Oct. 26-27, at Concord Music Hall, 2047 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, (773) 570-4000 or concordmusichall.com; also 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 27, and 9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28, at the Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago, (773) 561-9500 or aragonballroom.org.
What I'm listening to this week:
• Marina City's recent release "Terminal" is a treasure trove of powerful pop-punk tracks. Here they slow it down with an acoustic version of one of their fan favorites, "Better Weather." (Spotify, iTunes)
• The Psychedelic Furs: 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St., Chicago. $38.50-$60. (312) 526-3851 or thaliahallchicago.com.
• Kesha: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago. Tickets start at $104. (773) 561-9500 or aragonballroom.com.
• Imagine Dragons "Evolve Tour" with Grouplove and K.Flay: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, United Center, 1901 W. Madison St., Chicago. Rock. Tickets start at $77. ticketmaster.com.
• The Psychedelic Furs: 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St., Chicago. $38.50-$60. (312) 526-3851 or thaliahall chicago.com.
• The Obsessed, Cobalt, Chainsmoker: 9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $18-$22. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Chicago For Puerto Rico benefit featuring The O'My's, Air Credits, Rich Jones, BoatHouse: 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, at 1st Ward at Chop Shop, 2033 W. North Ave., Chicago. $20. (773) 537-4440 or chopshopchi.com.
• Kali Masi (album release), Post Child, Kodakrome, Pylons: 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. $8-$20; digital download and vinyl packages available. (312) 226-6300, cobralounge.com.
• Neil Sedaka: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. Pop. Tickets start at $59. (630) 962-7000 or arcadalive.com.
• The Strumbellas, Noah Kahan: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, Thalia Hall, 1807 S. Allport St., Chicago. $20-$32. (312) 526-3851 or thalia hallchicago.com.
• 20 Watt Tombstone: 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. Free. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Gincy, Kadooge, Boolean Knife, Soleo, The Flabby Hoffman Show: 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20, at The Red Line Tap at the The Heartland Cafe Bar, 7006 N. Glenwood Ave., Chicago. $5. (773) 274-5463 or heartlandcafe.com.
• From The Start, The Red Moons, Eraserhead, Porcelain: 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20, at Brauerhouse, 1000 N Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $5-$7. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• The Mons (album release), Volunteer, Lip, Primer Blind: 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20, at Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave., Chicago. $6. (773) 276-9730 or quenchers.com.
• McLovins, Teed, Groovy Louie & The Time Capsules: 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20, at Subterranean, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $8-$12. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• Joshua Skaja: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Bliss Wine & Gifts, 201 S. Main St., Wauconda. (847) 526-7133 or blisswineandgifts.com.
• Cliffhanger (EP release), Davlin, Fiction, Lightweights: 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Subterranean Downstairs, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• Red Ransom, American Narcissism/The Pirate Broadcast, Sean Wilson, Mister Moon: 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Elbo Room, 2871 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $9-$10. (773) 549-5549 or elboroomlive.com.
• Andrew W.K., The Kickback: 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $25. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Orange Star: 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Bar Louie Oak Brook, 17 W 350 22nd St., Oakbrook. (630) 478-8040 or barlouie.com.
• The Throwbacks: 9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at The Thirsty Whale, 1700 S. Randall Road, Algonquin. (847) 458-8555 or thirstywhalebar.com.
• Twenty Over: 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Lamplighter Inn, 60 N. Bothwell St., Palatine. (847) 991-2420 or lamplighters.com.
• Musicians coming together for Florida/Puerto Rico, featuring Black Trip Dream, The Blood in the Snow, Over the Sun, Kurt Michaels Continuum, The Kelly Miller Band, Jim Pape and more: 11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 22, at Bada Brew, 802 Theodore St., Crest Hill. $10. (815) 726-3401.
• Dead Boys' Cheetah Chrome & Johnny Blitz, Modern Day Rippers, Bad Sons, Criminal Kids: 9 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 24, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $10-$15. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Eighty Six Happiness, The Major Minor, Farhampton, Bad Jokes: 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26, at Wire, 6815 W. Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $8-$10. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Muggsy, Bandy, Mawrcrest, The Sentinels: 9 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26, at Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave., Chicago. $5. (773) 276-9730 or quenchers.com.
Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor who recently learned he didn't actually know "The Monster Mash," but a song ABOUT it. (Think about it!) You can follow him on Twitter at @BShamieDH.