Vernon Hills COVID aid for restaurants would waive fees, tax
Dozens of restaurants in Vernon Hills may get a substantive boost from a village assistance package that could total as much as $250,000.
Merck ends development of two potential COVID-19 vaccinesMerck is giving up on two potential COVID-19 vaccines following poor results in early-stage studies.
Cascade Drive-in reopening still faces 'a number of obstacles' in West ChicagoMoviegoers are still waiting for the show to start at the beloved Cascade Drive-in, a shuttered theater in West Chicago trying to stage a comeback.
Job losses from virus 4 times as bad as '09 financial crisisFour times as many jobs were lost last year due to the coronavirus pandemic as during the worst part of the global financial crisis in 2009, a U.N. report said Monday.
Biden plans to sign order for government to buy more U.S. goodsPresident Joe Biden plans to sign on Monday an executive order that aims to boost government purchases from U.S. manufacturers, according to administration officials.
White House begins talks with lawmakers on COVID-19 reliefTop aides to President Joe Biden have begun talks with a group of moderate Senate Republicans and Democrats on a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package as Biden faces increasing headwinds in his effort to win bipartisan backing for the initial legislative effort of his presidency.
Liz Weston: How to make budgeting as painless as possibleBudgeting is a pain. But what's more painful is a bill you can't easily pay, debt that costs a fortune or not having enough money to retire.
Millennial Money: Crafting smarter money goals in 2021Although the pandemic is still part of our daily lives, the new year offers an opportunity to craft fresh money goals -- and perhaps the trials of last year can help you clarify your financial ambitions.
A year ago the second U.S. COVID-19 case landed in Hoffman Estates. Here's what happened next.A year ago, Amita Health St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates announced it was treating only the second confirmed COVID-19 patient in the United States. The hospital would go on to pioneer treatment methods for the coronavirus.
How the Joe Biden presidency could impact your moneyA new COVID check, taxes, health care -- it's all on the line. Here's how.
UK retailing shifts further online as Boohoo buys DebenhamsAround 25,000 U.K. retailing jobs remain under threat even as it emerged Monday that online fashion firm Boohoo has bought Debenhams, one of the country's oldest department store chains
Business Ledger | Business recovery will require resilience, relationshipsNot all business owners were fortunate enough to receive government relief funds, especially in the first round. Experience shows that business owners who had a relationship with their bank were better served than those who didn't.
Company culture in the Year of COVIDThe pandemic has changed many things -- not only how we work, but how our company operates remotely as a team -- and has made maintaining our company culture challenging. Through fostering engagement among our employees, communicative and empathetic leadership, and the desire for continuous improvement, we've been able to find our stride.
COVID relief update: A look inside the Consolidated Appropriations ActIn a rare act of compromise, Congress came together at the end of December to pass the Consolidated Appropriations Act, which provides long-awaited and much-needed economic relief to businesses and individuals.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Vernon HillsVernon Hills COVID aid for restaurants would waive fees, tax
- West ChicagoCascade Drive-in reopening still faces 'a number of obstacles' in West Chicago
- Hoffman EstatesA year ago the second U.S. COVID-19 case landed in Hoffman Estates. Here's what happened next.
- LombardLombard rezones former seminary site
- Des PlainesSuburban Cook County restaurants likely to resume indoor dining Saturday
- PalatinePalatine wants to extend life of downtown TIF district for public projects
- Cook CountyO'Hare now No. 2 busiest airport as COVID-19 takes toll on aviation
- BusinessEvanston indie bookstore rewrites "You've Got Mail" narrative
- BusinessCollege of DuPage takes top honors at awards
- SchaumburgSchaumburg Amazon Fresh store to open Thursday
- EducationDist. 214 may join vaping lawsuit against Juul
- Deer ParkDeer Park to allow recreational pot shops
- GurneeTeriyaki Madness, Raising Cane's opening in Gurnee this year
- Vernon HillsSears demolition clearing way for big plans at Hawthorn Mall
- Carol StreamCopresco expands capabilities with new digital printing press
Through the Film Magnifier: Glen Campbell, Steve Garvey, Globetrotters, Scrabble tournaments and more