'A shutdown now would be a death sentence': Some restaurants plan to defy closure order
'We are Americans. We R free and open,' reads the sign for Ki's restaurant in Glendale Heights. It is one of the bars and restaurants in DuPage and Kane counties planning to stay open despite the governor's closure order.
Townhouse, duplex plan proposed near Naperville train lineSituated just south of the train line in Naperville, a cluster of single-family houses could be redeveloped into a new residential complex geared toward empty-nesters and young professionals.
Luxury coworking space opens in Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village officials helped cut the ribbon Thursday on a new 110,000-square-foot luxury coworking space just off the Jane Addams Tollway.
Carpentersville moves a step closer to revitalizing Huntley SquareCarpentersville officials agreed to enter into an agreement with Otto Engineering in an effort to revitalize Huntley Square.
Retail/residential development could replace Mount Prospect shopping centerThe next step in the remaking of downtown Mount Prospect could be the construction of a new retail/residential development on the site of the Prospect Place Shopping Center, south of the railroad tracks.
Should townhouses be added to Wheeling's Prairie Park development?The developer of a Wheeling condominium complex wants to build townhouses on vacant land within the development.
Owner hopes Stompin' Grounds Cafe will become a community hangout in Lake ZurichStompin' Grounds Cafe, which offers healthy food and drink options, opened Thursday in downtown Lake Zurich.
Wauconda Care rehab center expansion underwayWauconda Care, a skilled-care rehabilitation center, is expanding its longtime location at 176 Thomas Court off Route 176 in the village.
U.S. jobless claims drop to 787,000, but layoffs remain highThe number of laid-off Americans seeking unemployment benefits fell last week to 787,000, a sign that job losses may have eased slightly but are still running at historically high levels.
Stressing freedom, vaccine opponents rebranding in virus eraYears before this year's anti-mask and reopening demonstrations, vaccine opponents were working on reinventing their image around a rallying cry of civil liberties and medical freedom.
Cook County approves tax break for U.S. Waterproofing's move to SchaumburgThe Cook County Board of Commissioners approved a Class 6B property tax incentive this week for Rybro LLC, enabling U.S. Waterproofing & Construction to occupy the previously vacant site at 81 Remington Road in Schaumburg.
Business Ledger | COVID-19 employment litigation updateCOVID-19 has affected each of our lives in various ways and has affected many businesses and the economy quite drastically. Aside from the pandemic itself, additional requirements pertaining to health and safety, social distancing, job-protected leave and more have left employers scrambling to keep up with the rapidly changing regulatory environment. Plaintiff's lawyers have leapt at the opportunity to file lawsuits against employers pertaining to COVID-19 specific claims.
Health resources aid in safer return to workUpon returning to work, people should continue to be smart and cautious while interacting with others.
Advance directives: Taking control of your health during a pandemicIndividuals may not have much control over the coronavirus, but preparing advance directives is one way to take control of future financial and health care decisions and to alleviate some of the emotional burden placed on family members in what might be a heartbreaking situation.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Aurora'A shutdown now would be a death sentence': Some restaurants plan to defy closure order
- NapervilleTownhouse, duplex plan proposed near Naperville train line
- Elk Grove VillageLuxury coworking space opens in Elk Grove Village
- CarpentersvilleCarpentersville moves a step closer to revitalizing Huntley Square
- Des PlainesApartment complex plan draws opposition in Des Plaines
- Mount ProspectRetail/residential development could replace Mount Prospect shopping center
- WheelingShould townhouses be added to Wheeling's Prairie Park development?
- Lake ZurichOwner hopes Stompin' Grounds Cafe will become a community hangout in Lake Zurich
- WaucondaWauconda Care rehab center expansion underway
- SchaumburgCook County approves tax break for U.S. Waterproofing's move to Schaumburg
- BusinessCBD store opening in downtown Arlington Heights
- RosemontGene & Georgetti closing Rosemont restaurant
- Hoffman EstatesOld Hoffman Estates bowling alley to be razed, clearing way for redevelopment
- PalatineConstable: 30th work anniversary highlights what those with Down syndrome can do
- NewsEx-Arlington Heights cop alleges discrimination based on his Assyrian heritage
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants
Images; Through the Film Magnifier: Carlton Fisk, The Kingston Trio, Dudley Moore, a beard contest and more