'A shutdown now would be a death sentence': Some restaurants plan to defy closure order
'We are Americans. We R free and open,' reads the sign for Ki's restaurant in Glendale Heights. It is one of the bars and restaurants in DuPage and Kane counties planning to stay open despite the governor's closure order.
Luxury coworking space opens in Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village officials helped cut the ribbon Thursday on a new 110,000-square-foot luxury coworking space just off the Jane Addams Tollway.
Apartment complex plan draws opposition in Des PlainesA proposal for a 449-unit apartment complex and a neighboring commercial building has drawn significant opposition in Des Plaines.
Retail/residential development could replace Mount Prospect shopping centerThe next step in the remaking of downtown Mount Prospect could be the construction of a new retail/residential development on the site of the Prospect Place Shopping Center, south of the railroad tracks.
Owner hopes Stompin' Grounds Cafe will become a community hangout in Lake ZurichStompin' Grounds Cafe, which offers healthy food and drink options, opened Thursday in downtown Lake Zurich.
U.S. jobless claims drop to 787,000, but layoffs remain highThe number of laid-off Americans seeking unemployment benefits fell last week to 787,000, a sign that job losses may have eased slightly but are still running at historically high levels.
Stressing freedom, vaccine opponents rebranding in virus eraYears before this year's anti-mask and reopening demonstrations, vaccine opponents were working on reinventing their image around a rallying cry of civil liberties and medical freedom.
Cook County approves tax break for U.S. Waterproofing's move to SchaumburgThe Cook County Board of Commissioners approved a Class 6B property tax incentive this week for Rybro LLC, enabling U.S. Waterproofing & Construction to occupy the previously vacant site at 81 Remington Road in Schaumburg.
CBD store opening in downtown Arlington HeightsThe new Hemp CBD Wellness store in downtown Arlington Heights will have its official grand opening Saturday with a ribbon tying and appearance by former Chicago Blackhawks player Daniel Carcillo.
CORE acquires J&K IngredientsCORE Industrial Partners LLC, a Chicago-based private equity firm, announced it has acquired J&K Ingredients Corp., a manufacturer of baked goods ingredients with an emphasis on natural, organic and clean label products.
GE Healthcare receives $11 million contractChicago-based GE Healthcare Thursday announced its largest ever ultrasound deal in the United States, an $11 million order by St. Luke's University Health Network in the Northeast.
Business Ledger | COVID-19 employment litigation updateCOVID-19 has affected each of our lives in various ways and has affected many businesses and the economy quite drastically. Aside from the pandemic itself, additional requirements pertaining to health and safety, social distancing, job-protected leave and more have left employers scrambling to keep up with the rapidly changing regulatory environment. Plaintiff's lawyers have leapt at the opportunity to file lawsuits against employers pertaining to COVID-19 specific claims.
Health resources aid in safer return to workUpon returning to work, people should continue to be smart and cautious while interacting with others.
Advance directives: Taking control of your health during a pandemicIndividuals may not have much control over the coronavirus, but preparing advance directives is one way to take control of future financial and health care decisions and to alleviate some of the emotional burden placed on family members in what might be a heartbreaking situation.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Aurora'A shutdown now would be a death sentence': Some restaurants plan to defy closure order
- Elk Grove VillageLuxury coworking space opens in Elk Grove Village
- Des PlainesApartment complex plan draws opposition in Des Plaines
- Mount ProspectRetail/residential development could replace Mount Prospect shopping center
- WheelingShould townhouses be added to Wheeling's Prairie Park development?
- Lake ZurichOwner hopes Stompin' Grounds Cafe will become a community hangout in Lake Zurich
- SchaumburgCook County approves tax break for U.S. Waterproofing's move to Schaumburg
- BusinessCBD store opening in downtown Arlington Heights
- RosemontGene & Georgetti closing Rosemont restaurant
- Hoffman EstatesOld Hoffman Estates bowling alley to be razed, clearing way for redevelopment
- PalatineConstable: 30th work anniversary highlights what those with Down syndrome can do
- NewsEx-Arlington Heights cop alleges discrimination based on his Assyrian heritage
- St. CharlesSt. Charles enhancing outdoor dining options with tents, igloos
- BataviaBatavia factory wants to add solar power, but city officials worry about cost impact on utility
- NapervilleNaperville waives some liquor, tobacco license fees for businesses affected by COVID-19
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants
Images; Through the Film Magnifier: Carlton Fisk, The Kingston Trio, Dudley Moore, a beard contest and more