High-end mixed-use apartment building to rise near Villa Park Metra station
Villa Park is poised to join Elmhurst, Lisle, Naperville and other communities that feature high-end apartments built near their Metra stations. On Monday, the Villa Park village board voted 6-1 to allow Burr Ridge-based Hawthorne Development Corporation to move forward on a proposed $120 million mixed-use apartment building northwest of the village Metra station.
Schmaltz Deli gets the go-ahead to move flagship to LisleSchmaltz Deli is moving ahead with plans to move out of a Naperville strip mall and to its own building in Lisle.
All-American Barrington store winding down after 14 yearsThe general store Norton's USA, which carries only American-made goods, is winding down after 14 years in Barrington, a decision that was by no means easy for owner Deborah Leydig.
Bloomingdale's T.J. Maxx/HomeGoods will relocate to Stratford CrossingT.J. Maxx/HomeGoods will relocate to the site of a former Kmart in Bloomingdale.
Funeral Mass on Friday for founder of Angelo Caputo's Fresh MarketAngelo Caputo, the founder of the Angelo Caputo's Fresh Markets chain, has died. Caputo, an Italian immigrant, opened his first market in 1958 in Elmwood Park. Since then, the family-owned business has grown to employ more than 1,600 people.
Naperville council OKs 'small house, big garage' plan for Iron Gate Motor CondosThe Naperville City Council has approved plans to create six residential buildings with 51 total units at Iron Gate Motor Condos, expanding a concept that caters to those who collect speciality cars or other large valuables.
Feder: Chicago magazine loses top editor, senior writer in Tribune buyoutsSusanna Homan, editor-in-chief and publisher of Chicago magazine, is leaving the city monthly owned by Tribune Publishing, making her the highest ranking employee to exit in the company's current round of voluntary buyouts.
Poké Bros. brings fast, fresh fish concept to South ElginPoké Bros. will open it's 10th suburban location Thursday at 346 S. Randall Road in South Elgin. Poké is a traditional Hawaiian cuisine and the word refers to the cubed, uncooked fish central to the dish. They use a "build your own bowl" style similar to Chipotle.
Mercyhealth starts construction on new Crystal Lake hospitalConstruction on the highly anticipated, $105 million new Mercyhealth hospital in Crystal Lake has begun, meaning that by summer 2023, the city will have its first and only 24/7 emergency room.
Schaumburg favors enhancing first phase of park on former Motorola Solutions campusLast month's approval of the first phase of a 12-acre urban-style park on a portion of the former Motorola Solutions campus in Schaumburg was sufficiently under budget that village officials are now aiming to add a bike path and some other amenities that would make phase one more substantial.
Business Ledger to spotlight family-owned businessesThe Daily Herald Business Ledger will publish a list of family-owned businesses in the July 2021 issue. Businesses will be ranked by how long they have been in business, and companies must be in business at least five years to be considered for the list.
Jim O'Donnell: Inspired Bob Sirott pushing for permanent Jack Rosenberg memorialWGN's Bob Sirott has started a campaign to get the late Jack Rosenberg remembered in a permanent tribute at Wrigley Field.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Villa ParkHigh-end mixed-use apartment building to rise near Villa Park Metra station
- LisleSchmaltz Deli gets the go-ahead to move flagship to Lisle
- BarringtonAll-American Barrington store winding down after 14 years
- BloomingdaleBloomingdale's T.J. Maxx/HomeGoods will relocate to Stratford Crossing
- RoselleFuneral Mass on Friday for founder of Angelo Caputo's Fresh Market
- NapervilleNaperville council OKs 'small house, big garage' plan for Iron Gate Motor Condos
- South ElginPoké Bros. brings fast, fresh fish concept to South Elgin
- CaryMercyhealth starts construction on new Crystal Lake hospital
- SchaumburgSchaumburg favors enhancing first phase of park on former Motorola Solutions campus
- Special ReportIt started with George Halas in 1975: Chicago Bears again make an overture for Arlington Park
- Special ReportJim O'Donnell: If Pritzker gets behind the Bears, Arlington Park is theirs
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove hopes to pair jobseekers with companies in need
- Kane CountyKane County using no-ID-needed campaign to promote COVID-19 vaccinations among Hispanics
- Glen EllynGlen Ellyn library seminar tackles affordable housing issues
- AlgonquinOTTO Engineering celebrating 60 years
Through the Film Magnifier: Bob Collins, Jack Nicklaus, Richard Daley, Woodfield Mall Ice Arena and more
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Bobby Hull, Peter O'Toole, Ted Nugent, aerobics classes for kids and more
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Frontier Days, Bill Veeck, PeeWee Football, The Cellar nightclub and more
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hamburger University, Tug-O-War, Dance competitions and more