Would Glen Ellyn apartment proposal dominate downtown landscape?
A proposed five-story apartment complex planned for Main Street and Hillside Avenue in Glen Ellyn is drawing criticism from some who say it would adversely affect the look of the village's downtown.
After a beauty lesson, Grayslake changes course on microbladingAfter many emails, phone calls and a village board beauty lesson from a local salon owner, microblading is coming to Grayslake.
'It isn't nirvana': How four founders managed a four-day workweekLessons from three small business entrepreneurs who've had success with the four-day workweek -- and one who didn't.
Citigroup is releasing pay-gap data most companies don't want to shareCitigroup revealed a "raw," unadjusted -- and unflattering -- figure Wednesday, showing that median pay for women is 29 percent less than it is for men at the global financial services giant, becoming the first U.S. company to agree to disclose its median pay gap on a global level, an activist shareholder said. In its announcement, Citi also said the median pay for U.S. minorities is 7 percent less than it is for nonminorities.
Don't let Instagram envy get you into debtYou can't really know how much money your friends have. But it's safe to say that at least some of them may not be able to afford the trips that make you feel inferior without going into credit card debt. Here's how to keep Instagram from bullying you into overspending.
Are we missing a bet on older workers?Are we business owners overlooking older potential employees -- perhaps inadvertently, perhaps folly especially in a time when employment markets are tight?
Campton Hills to ask voters again about video gamblingCampton Hills trustees will once again ask voters if they want video gambling in the village.
Eagle Scouts hope to soar with Mount Prospect distilleryA pair of Eagle Scouts, one from Iowa and another from Chicago, are teaming to open a distillery in Mount Prospect.
France's Macron hosts 150 world business leadersFrench President Emmanuel Macron is hosting 150 world business leaders in a bid to promote his pro-business agenda, as yellow vest protesters take to the streets against his economic policies
Lego collecting delivers huge (and uncorrelated) market returnsYou might not know this, but older Lego sets are often resold online for many times their original price. In one extreme case, a kit for Star Wars Darth Revan that retailed in 2014 for $3.99 went for $28.46 on eBay a year later -- a 613 percent premium.
More companies want to pay off your student loan debtThe Society for Human Resource Management, a trade group that annually surveys roughly 3,500 HR professionals about the benefits at their workplaces, said that more companies are offering to help recruits with student loans -- but the value of that perk varies widely.
Retirement on the horizon: A financial planning checklistRetirement is one of the biggest events you will experience in your lifetime and requires you to have a retirement checklist to plan your finances correctly. Here is a retirement checklist of items to consider as you are trying to plan for your life after work.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Glen EllynWould Glen Ellyn apartment proposal dominate downtown landscape?
- GrayslakeAfter a beauty lesson, Grayslake changes course on microblading
- Campton HillsCampton Hills to ask voters again about video gambling
- Mount ProspectEagle Scouts hope to soar with Mount Prospect distillery
- Vernon HillsAldi adds to grocery store options in Vernon Hills area
- Buffalo GroveBrown associate brokers three property sales
- Hoffman EstatesEx-CEO of Hoffman Estates company imprisoned for pocketing $2.2 million in investments
- BusinessBrewery, restaurant team to help homeless
- LombardLuxury apartments, grocery store proposed for long-vacant DuPage Theatre site
- SchaumburgWhy Schaumburg might change site of convention center parking deck
- SchaumburgSchaumburg hosts blood drive Jan. 24
- MundeleinProstitution arrests could cause Mundelein massage parlors to lose licenses
- Hoffman EstatesLampert's $5.2B Sears deal gets backing from Bank of America, Cyrus
- Hoffman EstatesThe nicest Sears you've ever seen isn't owned by Sears
- BusinessAptarGroup joins global effort to reuse plastics