Top economists say the world still need English majors
As humanities majors slump to the lowest level in decades, calls are coming from surprising places for a revival. Some prominent economists are making the case for why it still makes a lot of sense to major (or at least take classes) in humanities alongside more technical fields.
Hoffman Estates Mariano's hopes to add gas stationThe Hoffman Estates Mariano's store hopes to add a gas station as an outlot in the Hoffman Village Shopping Center on Golf Road.
SIM swap: The latest cyber fraud to worry about. (And what you can do to limit the damage.)If your phone stops working or you can't send or receive texts, don't assume it's a glitch. Call using an alternate method or visit your carrier immediately to report phone takeover fraud.
Google's response to the iPhone: More cameras and AI in new Pixel phonesGoogle on Tuesday showed how it will attempt to get its high-end Pixel phones out of their rut: A combination of familiar Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. technology, the addition of juggernaut carrier AT&T Inc. and cutting-edge camera and digital-assistant features that showcase the company's lead in artificial intelligence.
Dems offer grab-bag of tech crackdown ideas during debateThe candidates all agree that something needs to be done about America's technology giants. They just can't agree on what that something is.
Google goes back to basics with Pixelbook Go laptop designThe Pixelbook Go has a 13-inch screen, the same size as the smaller MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. But unlike Apple Inc.'s models, it has a touch screen.
A prenup is the latest must-have for tech startup founders in loveLong popular with older wealthy couples who remarry, prenups are also being demanded by entrepreneurs with startup ideas who want to keep future windfalls to themselves.
The top iPhone and iPad apps on App StoreApp Store Official Charts for the week ending October 13, 2019.
Google unveils Wi-Fi routers with Assistant, louder Mini speakerThe Nest Home Mini, a second-generation version of the Google Home Mini, adds an improved speaker for better music playback, a chip for voice command processing, and a wall mount. There's also a redesigned version of the Google WiFi home router system, now called Nest WiFi.
Winfield about to approve 163-unit apartment complex near hospitalConstruction is scheduled to begin early next year on a $35 million luxury apartment complex that will bring hundreds of residents to downtown Winfield.
Company that converts garbage into fuel eyeing Hoffman EstatesA California-based company that creates diesel and jet fuel from the carbon in household garbage otherwise headed to a landfill hopes to build a new processing plant in Hoffman Estates.
Surviving and thriving during an economic downturnWith the Great Recession almost ten years in our rearview mirror, we are all better positioned to leverage the lessons learned into preparedness for what may lie ahead.
Take the time to train wellYou've hired a great new employee who will help you immensely with your ever-growing workload, and you can't wait to get started.Do you have time in your schedule to train this new person (and train well)?
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates Mariano's hopes to add gas station
- WinfieldWinfield about to approve 163-unit apartment complex near hospital
- Hoffman EstatesCompany that converts garbage into fuel eyeing Hoffman Estates
- East DundeeD.C. Cobb's restaurant to open third location in downtown East Dundee
- ElginDarwin brokers three transactions in Elgin
- MundeleinMundelein board revokes business grant
- WaukeganWaukegan will let state decide who gets Lake County casino license
- BusinessCharity spin class in Arlington Heights
- NapervilleNaperville veteran uses photo booth business to boost charities
- ElginFeds arrest Streamwood company operators, accuse them of hiring illegal workers through Elgin firm
- PalatineMy Salon Suite hosting grand opening fun in Palatine
- SchaumburgMeet Camrus Johnson of TV's "Batwoman" at Woodfield Oct. 19
- NapervilleDuPage Children's Museum names new CEO
- ElginYoung Rembrandts founder honored
- NapervilleCityGate partners with local charities over holiday
Through the Film Magnifier: Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie Howard, Belly Dancing, Pony Paper Delivery and more