Etiquette 101: Don't ghost job candidates
After an employer has interviewed a job candidate in person, the employer should notify the applicant whether it has made the decision to hire them - or not.
New perk for fast-food workers: Finish a shift, get cash to goRestaurant chains are pulling out all the stops to attract and retain cooks and cashiers amid persistently low unemployment. The latest move: Same-day and next-day paychecks.
Study shows female workers are more productive when it's warmerA new study shows women tend to perform better on certain skills when the temperature is a little warmer, making them more productive. But men tend to perform better when the temperature is a bit cooler.
The real (surprisingly comforting) reason rural America is doomed to declineBy some measures, rural America has grown faster than urban areas. Why didn't we notice?
Amazon is working on a device to read human emotionsAmazon.com Inc. is developing a voice-activated wearable device that can recognize human emotions.
Both Democrats, Republicans blast facial-recognition technology in a rare bipartisan momentWASHINGTON -- Facial-recognition technology endured fierce resistance in Washington on Wednesday as both Democratic and Republican lawmakers criticized the artificial-intelligence software as a danger to Americans' privacy and civil rights. At a time when most issues in Washington generate a starkly partisan divide, members of the House Oversight and Reform Committee were startlingly bipartisan in their condemnation of the technology, which federal and local law-enforcement agencies already are using across the country to identify suspects caught on camera.
Huawei has tiny presence in US, huge global footprintHuawei is at the center of an international trade dispute with the Trump administration. But most Americans have never even heard of it. So, what is Huawei, and why does the president care so much?
Consumer Reports: Tesla's automatic lane-changing feature is 'far less competent' than a human driverWhen Consumer Reports tested the feature, drivers raised concerns that it doesn't help - but could hurt.
Huawei insists it's the victim this time of stolen trade secretsHuawei claims in a Texas court case that a former engineer who was developing chips to better store and retrieve data poached workers and stole proprietary information to start a competing firm.
Ford's way to finish driverless deliveries: Package-carrying robotsAutonomous vehicles will need a human-free way to get things to your doorstep.
Will U.S.-China trade war help end China's dependency on Western tech?Banning exports to Huawei could spur China to develop items it now buys in the West.
The 2020 election and U.S. immigrationThere's little doubt that U.S. immigration policy will be a central theme of the 2020 Presidential election. While illegal immigration continues to grab headlines, it's the too often overlooked legal immigration system that also provides virtually unlimited opportunities for improvement.
Why I should consider a search fund when selling my businessSmall businesses are experiencing a period of unprecedented transition. Baby boomers make up more than 50% of today's business owners. Many are approaching retirement without a firm succession plan in place.
State and local tax: Why are resale certificates are important for your businessResale certificates are a very important part of the state and local sales tax process. Not having the correct certificates on file can land your business in hot water.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Hoffman EstatesWarren, Ocasio-Cortez demand answers on Sears bankruptcy from Mnuchin
- Des PlainesA 'second downtown' in Des Plaines? City leaders hope so
- Des PlainesDes Plaines approves "hotel-style" senior living community downtown
- ElginElgin founder of suburban group of McDonald's franchises remembered as a kind businessman
- Des PlainesDes Plaines recommends tax break for $12.5 million industrial building
- St. CharlesGas station, retail space slated for St. Charles business park
- Mount ProspectAvison Young brokers sale of Mount Prospect buildings
- BusinessHey Nonny names Gore general manager
- Oakbrook TerraceCBRE brokers $21 million retail center sale
- Lake ZurichACCO Brands extends lease on Lake Zurich HQ
- BusinessG&W builds second facility in Bolingbrook
- LisleMolex names Heilind Distributor of the Year
- Fox LakeAwards don't happen by accident, especially when they arrive in two consecutive years. That's exactly what has happened to Ray Chevrolet in Fox Lake.
- ItascaHamilton Lakes buildings undergo $7 million renovation
- ElginIllinois businesses could face lawsuits for asking about wage history under proposal