'Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long': Sears retirees not surprised by bankruptcy filing
Sears retirees and shoppers from the suburbs said they were saddened by news of the company's bankruptcy filing Monday -- and even a bit nostalgic about its heyday -- but can't say they didn't see it coming. "Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long," said Ron Olbrysh, of Lombard, chairman of the National Association of Retired Sears Employees, a Chicago-based group representing former workers.
Should Vernon Hills give local company $1.37 million to attract millennials?Vernon Hills is considering a potentially precedent-setting sales tax agreement that would help fund internal renovations at a corporate headquaters along Milwaukee Avenue.
Manufacturers gather for Elk Grove business expoNearly 100 Elk Grove Village-based businesses, from precision machining to plastics, came together Monday to network during the village's sixth annual business expo.
Suburban health insurance providers sue opioid manufacturers, prescribersTwo suburban-based nonprofit risk pools that provide more than 203 local municipalities with employee health insurance filed a joint lawsuit against leading opioid manufacturers, distributors, professional associations and prescribers.
Sears will 'move ahead' with naming rights for Hoffman Estates arena, officials sayHoffman Estates officials say they believe Sears Holding Corp.'s renewal of its naming-rights agreement for the Sears Centre Arena, approved only a week ago, was done in good faith, despite the company's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Monday.
Buffalo Grove puts temporary ban on dog, cat salesAs Buffalo Grove leaders continue to debate regulations to prevent the sale of dogs from suspected puppy mills, the village imposing a six-month moratorium on the wholesale and retail sale of dogs and cats.
Assurance relocating headquarters in SchaumburgAssurance, a large independent insurance brokerage firm, will relocate its headquarters to 20 N. Martingale Road in Schaumburg in 2019.
Des Plaines gives early go-ahead for senior apartments over neighbors' oppositionA proposed senior living community in Des Plaines opposed by its potential neighbors narrowly cleared a major hurdle Monday toward approval from city leaders.
Sears' 'radical' past: How mail-order catalogs subverted the racial hierarchy of Jim CrowMonday's announcement that Sears would file for bankruptcy and close 142 stores came as little surprise to anyone who has followed the retail giant's collapse in recent years. Still, the news inspired a wave of nostalgia for a company that sold an ideal of middle-class life to generations of Americans.
The Amazon of its day, Sears' woes were years in the makingHow the might have fallen: Sears, which was the Amazon of its day, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Microsoft co-founder, sports franchise owner Paul Allen dies at 65Paul Allen, who co-founded Microsoft with his childhood friend Bill Gates, has died. He was 65.
There ain't no sanity clause: The Marx Brothers interpret waivers of subrogationThere ain't no sanity clause: The Marx Brothers interpret waivers of subrogation
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Hoffman Estates'Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long': Sears retirees not surprised by bankruptcy filing
- Vernon HillsShould Vernon Hills give local company $1.37 million to attract millennials?
- Elk Grove VillageManufacturers gather for Elk Grove business expo
- Oak BrookSuburban health insurance providers sue opioid manufacturers, prescribers
- St. CharlesSt. Charles lifts ban on home alcohol deliveries
- Hoffman EstatesSears will 'move ahead' with naming rights for Hoffman Estates arena, officials say
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove puts temporary ban on dog, cat sales
- SchaumburgAssurance relocating headquarters in Schaumburg
- Des PlainesDes Plaines gives early go-ahead for senior apartments over neighbors' opposition
- Hoffman EstatesSears' 'radical' past: How mail-order catalogs subverted the racial hierarchy of Jim Crow
- East DundeeEast Dundee creates new liquor license for small breweries
- Hoffman EstatesThe Sears bankruptcy is likely to inflict pain on mall owners for years
- Hoffman EstatesSears files for bankruptcy just as things are looking up for U.S. retail
- Vernon HillsConstruction complete at Vernon Hills office
- Downers GroveSavant Capital Management recognized as leader by Barron's and Forbes
Through the Film Magnifier: Johnny Cash, Homing Pigeons, John Belushi, Ted Nugent, Marshall Brodien and more.
Through the Film Magnifier: Featuring singing nuns, Kickapoo rock fest, the Paddock Olympics, rocket clubs and more.
Through the Film Magnifier: Featuring Joan Rivers, Larry Lujack, The Arlingtones, disco dancing and more