Manufacturers gather for Elk Grove business expo
Nearly 100 Elk Grove Village-based businesses, from precision machining to plastics, came together Monday to network during the village's sixth annual business expo.
'Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long': Sears retirees not surprised by bankruptcy filingSears retirees and shoppers from the suburbs said they were saddened by news of the company's bankruptcy filing Monday -- and even a bit nostalgic about its heyday -- but can't say they didn't see it coming. "Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long," said Ron Olbrysh, of Lombard, chairman of the National Association of Retired Sears Employees, a Chicago-based group representing former workers.
Sears will 'move ahead' with naming rights for Hoffman Estates arena, officials sayHoffman Estates officials say they believe Sears Holding Corp.'s renewal of its naming-rights agreement for the Sears Centre Arena, approved only a week ago, was done in good faith, despite the company's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Monday.
Sears files for bankruptcy just as things are looking up for U.S. retailWith shoppers feeling more free to spend and nicer malls on the upswing, the Sears bankruptcy filing is a clear sign of individual weakness, not an industry trend.
Feder: Three fans to host 'Bulls Outsiders' for NBC Sports ChicagoA trio of die-hard Chicago Bulls fans has been hired to host "Bulls Outsiders," an interactive talk show to air live after every Bulls game this season on NBC Sports Chicago, Robert Feder writes.
Microsoft co-founder, sports franchise owner Paul Allen dies at 65Paul Allen, who co-founded Microsoft with his childhood friend Bill Gates, has died. He was 65.
East Dundee creates new liquor license for small breweriesThe imminent opening of a nanobrewery in downtown East Dundee has prompted village officials to create a new type of liquor license to fit the establishment's business plan.
The Sears bankruptcy is likely to inflict pain on mall owners for yearsMall owners must now contend with the possibility of a full liquidation by Sears, which would mean a glut of retail real estate in an already oversupplied market.
Hearthside Food Solutions acquires Greencore USAHearthside Food Solutions, a contract manufacturer, said it is acquiring Greencore USA, a frozen contract packaging and a producer of refrigerated, fresh-made sandwiches, entrees and salad kits.
Will college costs impact your business plan?Even if you and your business are the newest of startups, somewhere -- maybe in the last few sentences of your business plan or perhaps simply a thought in the back of your mind -- the idea exists that the ultimate sale of your business will provide a comfortable pile of retirement cash. Depending on which way the economic winds blow, that may be the case. Lots of advisers will talk to you about retirement. Not so many include college costs in their discussions.
Construction complete at Vernon Hills officePrinciple Construction Corp. said it completed the renovation for Richard Wolf Medical Instruments facility at 353 Corporate Woods Parkway in Vernon Hills.
There ain't no sanity clause: The Marx Brothers interpret waivers of subrogationThere ain't no sanity clause: The Marx Brothers interpret waivers of subrogation
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- Elk Grove VillageManufacturers gather for Elk Grove business expo
- Hoffman Estates'Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long': Sears retirees not surprised by bankruptcy filing
- Hoffman EstatesSears will 'move ahead' with naming rights for Hoffman Estates arena, officials say
- Hoffman EstatesSears files for bankruptcy just as things are looking up for U.S. retail
- SchaumburgAssurance relocating headquarters in Schaumburg
- East DundeeEast Dundee creates new liquor license for small breweries
- Hoffman EstatesThe Sears bankruptcy is likely to inflict pain on mall owners for years
- Vernon HillsConstruction complete at Vernon Hills office
- GurneeGurnee closes new farmers market for the season Sunday
- Hoffman EstatesSears posts job openings with bankruptcy filing ink still wet
- AlgonquinHand Crafted Pizza Co. in Algonquin offers a healthy spin on a favorite
- NapervilleWhat is dyslexia? Not what you think, experts say
- NapervilleParent action hopes to help reading work for kids with dyslexia
- NapervilleSigns Now Naperville receives international award
- Hoffman EstatesSears files for bankruptcy
Through the Film Magnifier: Johnny Cash, Homing Pigeons, John Belushi, Ted Nugent, Marshall Brodien and more.
Through the Film Magnifier: Featuring singing nuns, Kickapoo rock fest, the Paddock Olympics, rocket clubs and more.
Through the Film Magnifier: Featuring Joan Rivers, Larry Lujack, The Arlingtones, disco dancing and more