Why more and more people don't want tech giants in their neighborhoods
Tech companies bring in small armies of workers but these are rarely recruited from the neighborhoods in question and the new arrivals drive up prices for locals. While city leaders may love the new additions, residents don't.
Canada's answer to Tesla: A $15,500 electric three-wheeler called the SoloIt's all-electric like a Tesla. It's priced like a Ford Fiesta. It's one of the oddest-looking vehicles you've ever seen -- and it may just redefine the commuter car.
Bare walls, little furniture and big dreams: A year inside an esports gaming houseA kind of "Silicon Valley"-like incubator for players, gaming houses are not uncommon in the world of esports. Such configurations are immersive, with players' lives revolving heavily around their training. The benefit, to both the team and its players, is a high dose of hands-on development with coaching staffs either nearby or living on the premises.
TV magnate Shari Redstone now prefers to curl up with podcastsThe media mogul, who oversees controlling stakes in CBS Corp. and Viacom Inc. for her ailing father, Sumner, is one of a growing number of consumers who choose to listen to a podcast rather than stare at a screen.
How the free-to-play model is threatening major game makersThe wild success of "Fortnite" -- Epic Games' free-to-play battle royale game -- has rattled the gaming industry, proving how a business model that doesn't require the purchase of a big-budget title can attract a massive audience and keep players coming back.
Foreign robo-callers could face fines under the FCC's proposed rulesOn average, Americans received more than 1,500 robo-calls per second in 2018, according to third-party estimates included in an FCC report.
'Retail arbitrage': How people are making money reselling clearance items on AmazonOne family plans to make $150,000 this year with retail arbitrage. And they aren't the only ones.
Elgin popcorn shop Mama Lee's honored by city councilMama Lee's Gourmet Popcorn, based in Elgin and with two more locations in West Dundee and Chicago, was recognized by the Elgin City Council this week.
St. Charles likely to offer incentives for new sports barSt. Charles is expected to offer financial assistance to help transform a vacant downtown property into an upscale sports bar.
AP analysis: Hundreds of companies excused from steel tariffDespite Trump's tough talk on trade, his Commerce Department has approved tariff exemption requests from 370 companies for up to 4.1 million tons of foreign steel
Deere, hit on both sides of trade war, posts weak 1Q earnsDeere takes a 1Q trade-war hit, but is optimistic about 2019
Your cybersecurity plan is only as strong as your weakest linkAccording to the American Bankers Association, banks stopped nearly $17 billion in attempted deposit account fraud in 2016. And -- unfortunately -- small, family-owned and privately held businesses like this accounting firm are often the target of these scams.
Why do business owners need a transition plan?Why do business owners need a transition plan? There are six core reasons.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- ElginElgin popcorn shop Mama Lee's honored by city council
- St. CharlesSt. Charles likely to offer incentives for new sports bar
- GrayslakeGrayslake small business group growing, hosting a wine walk
- BataviaSugar Grove mom invents Fizzy Magic -- a bath bomb for kids with a toy surprise inside
- Elgin"Explore Elgin" earns state tourism award
- SchaumburgNDS relocates corporate headquarters
- Lake ForestTenneco spinoff company to be called DRiV
- Rolling MeadowsRolling Meadows increases tobacco purchase age to 21
- AuroraAurora shooting: 'The worst day our company has ever had'
- WinfieldHospital aims to diagnose 'broken hearts' in unborn babies
- SchaumburgKnight and day: Couples renew vows on Valentine's at Medieval Times
- NapervilleShould DuPage Children's Museum move? Naperville mayoral candidates weigh in
- NapervilleExtended Care acquires two facilites
- Wood DaleHow should Wood Dale develop along Irving Park Road, O'Hare? Mayor candidates disagree
- BataviaNewly finished 'Fox Valley Suite' to make its debut at Geneva Middle School South