Almost 40% of U.S. homes are 'free and clear' of a mortgage
This number ticked upward after the Great Recession and over the past 10 years the share of homeowners paying off their mortgages has risen 5.5 percentage points.
Forget Silicon Valley, it still pays more to be a doctor in AmericaRemember when your mother told you to be a doctor? She was right.
Easy elevator fix was avoided as kids diedNothing was done to fix hundreds of thousands of existing residential elevators, despite a problem that could be solved with a $100 space guard, according to elevator experts.
How divorce is destroying the finances of Americans over 50Splitting up after age 50 -- often called "gray divorce" -- may be particularly hazardous to your emotional and financial health, far worse than doing so at younger ages.
America's youth think they can save the world and get richMany young Americans believe that, while providing some greater good to society, they can also work less than Generation X does. The conundrum, of course, is that exploding student debt and the concentration of jobs in outrageously expensive cities make this a bit of a challenge.
Analysis: What the FaceApp freak-out really tells usAmericans may have finally realized that something is rotten on the internet. But do they understand what that something is?
Analysis: How to sell a skeptical America on funding the new space raceAfter decades of less-ambitious manned space exploration, nations are aiming for the stars again -- and trying to sell people on the expense.
How quickly can AI solve a Rubik's Cube?Few things reveal the limits of someone's problem-solving skills faster than a Rubik's cube.
Tesla's plan to deliver fully self-driving cars this year worries regulators, expertsTesla's push to put untested and unregulated features in the hands of its drivers is putting industry executives and regulators on edge.
Emoji are -- finally -- becoming more diverseNew emoji include a service dog, a prosthetic arm and leg, wheelchairs and hearing aids, as well as new versions of people holding hands, with 75 new combinations based on skin tone and gender.
Alphabet unveils app to provide air-traffic control for dronesThe company that brought you free digital maps and email wants to do the same thing for your drone.
"The importance of being HR": An employment attorney's perspectiveWhile many corporate leaders are enlightened and recognize HR's value, the "profit contribution" perspective still plagues many HR professionals.
Outsourced Accounting; What's it all about?Outsourced accounting is a service that provides a full, accounting department experience for businesses and nonprofit organizations without the appropriate resources for an accounting department or who are frustrated with the cost and effort put forth to staff their existing accounting department.
Balancing the financial needs of the family businessDuring the life cycle of a family-owned business, there are many reasons to seek financing. From start up to retirement, each loan has a means to an end -- to provide income to the members of the family while maintaining the success of the business.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- BusinessNeither heat, rain, cold nor drought can stop local sweet corn crop
- BensenvilleBo Jackson's sports dome to put Bensenville 'on the map'
- Prospect HeightsConor breaks ground on new development
- Hoffman EstatesMcDonald's property sells for $2.15 million
- PalatinePalatine leaders optimistic about potential for site of closed Holiday Inn Express
- St. CharlesSt. Charles family business among those helping NASA reach the stars
- Elk Grove VillagePlans for hotel on north side of Elk Grove Technology Park revealed
- PoliticsSuburban Republicans object to Sterigenics settlement
- WheelingSchneider hearing examines Foxconn's impact on suburban flooding
- WheelingDuPage jail's welding program yields first inmates graduating with 'hope and purpose'
- WheelingCity Works opening in Wheeling in August
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village seeks taxes from online travel companies
- BusinessNew doggy day care coming to Arlington Heights
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove approves change in Link Crossing agreement
- AddisonRoad Runner reminiscent of countless road trips
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more