5 hurt in Chicago high-rise carbon monoxide leak, fire

 
 
Updated 3/2/2021 10:21 AM

CHICAGO -- Five people were hurt early Tuesday in a carbon monoxide leak and fire in a Chicago apartment building, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called for high carbon monoxide readings about 4:30 a.m. at the North Side building, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. Four people were taken to a hospital for treatment.

 

Crews found a faulty furnace and returned carbon monoxide levels to normal a short time later, officials said. Residents then were allowed to return to the building.

About 30 minutes later, a small fire was found in one of the units, officials said. The blaze was extinguished a short time after it was discovered.

One person was taken to a hospital with a minor burn, officials said.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.