'60 Minutes' aside, summertime escapism rules network TV
LOS ANGELES -- Summertime escapism in the form of talent and game shows ruled on broadcast TV, with 'ú60 Minutes'Ě the exception.
'úAmerica's Got Talent'Ě on NBC was the most-watched show last week, according to Nielsen company ratings out Tuesday. But the No. 2 slot was claimed by CBS' long-running news magazine, which included reports on the pandemic's effect on colleges and on a 1921 attack that wreaked havoc on a black Oklahoma community.
'ú60 Minutes Presents,'Ě a compilation of revisited wildlife stories, also made the top five.
Meanwhile, cable viewers kept their eye on COVID-19 and the aftermath of police-related killings, with Fox News Channel once again the most-watched cable outlet, followed by MSNBC and CNN.
For the week, CBS averaged 3.8 million viewers and NBC was second with 3.3 million. ABC had 2.9 million viewers, Fox had 1.8 million, Univision had 1.4 million, ION Television had 1.2 million, Telemundo had 890,000 and CW had 610,000.
Fox News averaged 3.2 million viewers for the week. MSNBC had 1.8 million, CNN had 1.6 million, HGTV had 1.3 million and TLC had 1.2 million.
'úWorld News Tonight'Ě drew an average of 8.8 million viewers. NBC's 'úNightly News'Ě was second among the evening newscasts with a 7.7 million average, followed by the 'úCBS Evening News'Ě with 5.4 million.
For the week of June 8-14, the top 20 prime-time shows, their networks and viewerships:
1. 'úAmerica's Got Talent,'Ě NBC, 8.6 million.
2. 'ú60 Minutes,'Ě CBS, 7.9 million.
3. 'úNCIS,'Ě CBS, 5.9 million.
4. 'ú60 Minutes Presents,'Ě CBS, 5.7 million.
5. 'úFBI,'Ě CBS, 5.3 million.
6. 'úCelebrity Family Feud,'Ě ABC, 5.3 million.
7. 'úYoung Sheldon,'Ě CBS, 5.2 million.
8. 'úMan With a Plan,'Ě CBS, 5 million.
9. 'úAmerica's Funniest Home Videos,'Ě ABC, 4.7 million.
10. 'úMom,'Ě CBS. 4.5 million.
11. 'úTucker Carlson Tonight'Ě (Thursday), Fox News, 4.4 million.
12. 'úWorld of Dance,'Ě NBC, 4.3 million.
13. 'úChicago Fire,'Ě NBC, 4.2 million.
14. 'úDon't,'Ě ABC, 4.2 million.
15. 'úHoley Moley,'Ě ABC, 4.13 million.
16. 'úHannity'Ě (Thursday), Fox News, 4.15 million.
17. 'úTucker Carlson Tonight'Ě (Monday), Fox News, 4.12 million.
18. 'úBroke,'Ě CBS, 4.1 million.
19. 'úMagnum P.I.,'Ě CBS, 4.08 million.
20. 'úThe Neighborhood,'Ě CBS, 4.03 million.