Dillinger family members apply again to exhume his grave

  • FILE - This file photo shows Indiana Reformatory booking shots of John Dillinger, stored in the state archives. The History Channel has dropped out of a planned documentary on John Dillinger that would have included the exhumation of the 1930s gangster's Indianapolis gravesite. A&E Networks spokesman Dan Silberman says The History Channel is no longer involved in the Dillinger documentary. Silberman says the network won't comment on why it has withdrawn from the project. The planned exhumation of Dillinger's grave is the subject of a lawsuit. (Indiana State Archives/The Indianapolis Star via AP, File)

    FILE - This file photo shows Indiana Reformatory booking shots of John Dillinger, stored in the state archives. The History Channel has dropped out of a planned documentary on John Dillinger that would have included the exhumation of the 1930s gangster's Indianapolis gravesite. A&E Networks spokesman Dan Silberman says The History Channel is no longer involved in the Dillinger documentary. Silberman says the network won't comment on why it has withdrawn from the project. The planned exhumation of Dillinger's grave is the subject of a lawsuit. (Indiana State Archives/The Indianapolis Star via AP, File) Associated Press

 
 
Updated 9/18/2019 8:29 AM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Family members of 1930s gangster John Dillinger have submitted a new application to exhume his Indianapolis gravesite.

The Indiana State Department of Health said it received the latest application Tuesday.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 

Dillinger's family first applied to exhume the remains in July as part of a planned History Channel documentary. The deadline to exhume and return the remains was Sept. 16, and the exhumation did not occur.


The History Channel last week dropped out of a planned documentary on Dillinger that would have included the exhumation. Family members said they have evidence Dillinger's body may not be buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, and that he may not have been the man FBI agents fatally shot outside a Chicago theater on July 22, 1934.

Cemetery officials object to the exhumation, saying it would be disruptive. Dillinger's nephew, Michael C. Thompson, sued the cemetery last month, seeking a court order to gain access to the grave. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 1.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.