Governments may seek funds for recreational area development

Posted6/12/2019 7:00 AM

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Local governments in Illinois may apply for state grants to acquire or develop space for recreation areas.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources announced Tuesday that applications will be accepted beginning July 1 for the Open Space Land Acquisition fund and the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund.


The OSLAD program provides 50% funding for qualified projects by municipalities that can show they have the ability to finance the remainder of the project. The money comes from a portion of the state's real estate transfer tax.

The Land and Water Conservation Fund provides federal money for buying land for recreational purposes. It provides 50% of the certified market value of the property.

Applications must be submitted by Aug. 29.



IDNR Application:

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.