Have a groovy time at annual Taste of Des Plaines
The Taste of Des Plaines is returning to downtown Des Plaines this weekend. The Taste, held Friday and Saturday, June 14-15, is a free event with family-friendly activities, entertainment and local food.
This year's event will feature a variety of choices, including burgers, tacos, pizza, and more. Highlights include:
• Rivers Casino
• Charcoal Delights
• Charcoal Delights Greek Kitchen
• Tiki Terrace
• Mexico Restaurant
• Sunrise Grill
• Firewater Saloon (coming soon to Downtown Des Plaines)
• Tap House Grill
• Slice N Ice (new to Des Plaines, opening on Touhy)
Taste of Des Plaines will entertain guests with its musical lineup. In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock Festival, Saturday's acts will pay tribute to the artists that made that festival iconic.
Friday's lineup includes:
• 5 p.m.: Red Carpet Riot
• 7 p.m.: Jimmy Nick & Don't Tell Mama
• 9 p.m.: Local favorite 7th heaven
Saturday's Woodstock tribute features:
• 2 p.m.: Pie eating contest, sponsored by the Des Plaines History Center
• 3 p.m.: Backdated, classic rock tribute
• 5 p.m.: Rico!, Santana tribute
• 7 p.m.: Kiss the Sky, Jimi Hendrix tribute
• 9 p.m.: Creedence Revived, Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute
Kids and families
Taste of Des Plaines is a family-friendly event with an entire area dedicated to family activities, including a Community Stage. Activities will include a Ferris wheel; a rock climbing wall, courtesy of the Des Plaines Park District; inflatables, games, and a dunk tank hosted by the Des Plaines Youth Commission.
Chalk champ Shaun Hays will create a 3-D piece of chalk art on Saturday afternoon sponsored by the Des Plaines Arts Council.
Festival hours are 5 to 11 p.m. Friday and noon to 11 p.m. Saturday, June 14-15. The family area is open until 8 p.m. both days. The event location is at 1501 Miner St. in downtown Des Plaines, at the Metra station.
The Taste of Des Plaines is sponsored in part by Rivers Casino, Ellison Apartments, Lakeshore Beverage, and PRP Wines.