Teen accused of inciting fight at Great America back in custody
An 18-year-old accused of inciting an attack against a Batavia family at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee is back in custody after disappearing about one week ago.
Lake County Judge Mark Levitt told family members in court Monday that Gregory Battle, of Waukegan, will be allowed to leave county jail to take part in a downstate treatment program.
"Failure to live by my court orders will land you in much more trouble," Levitt scolded Battle. "Do not make a mistake on my pretrial release again."
An arrest warrant was issued for Battle after authorities learned the student had been missing school, disappeared from home, had traces of marijuana in his system and did not appear in court six days earlier.
Waukegan police found the teen walking in Waukegan May 2, and he has been held in jail on no bail, defense attorney Joseph Zeit said.
Levitt ordered Battle to remain in jail since his arrest while family members found a suitable treatment program for the teen.
Battle was the oldest of nine teens arrested by Gurnee Police Sept. 23 after attacking three members of a family who were hospitalized after a visit to Six Flags, authorities said.
A 51-year-old man, 50-year-old woman and their 12-year-old son were standing in line for a ride when a group of teens cut in front of them and started swearing loudly, authorities said.
After words were exchanged between the groups, one of the juveniles punched the 12-year-old son, authorities said. When the father stepped in to protect his child, the rest of the group attacked the family.
The family members were taken to the hospital for treatment of nonlife threatening injuries, authorities said.
Witnesses called police and park security, but the teens had left the theme park before authorities could arrive. Battle and the other juveniles were taken into custody after the group was spotted walking outside the park.
Battle was charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, mob action and aggravated battery in a public place for his role in the attack, authorities have said.
The remaining eight teens ranging in age from 15 to 17 were charged with mob action. One juvenile was also charged with obstruction of justice for giving police a false name.
Levitt ordered Battle back in court June 12 for a status hearing.