Daily Herald honored with 10 Lisagor awards
More than a dozen Daily Herald reporters, editors and photographers were honored Friday night with 10 Peter Lisagor Awards for Exemplary Journalism, the highest accolades given to Chicago-area journalists.
The Daily Herald was honored for several projects that reiterated its commitment to public service for its readers.
"Generations At Risk" a four-day series that highlighted the undeniable relationship between student poverty and achievement in Illinois schools, received the top prize in the Education Reporting category. The project, by Senior Writer Melissa Silverberg, Data and Graphics Editor Tim Broderick, Assistant Managing Editor Renee Trappe and Linda Lutton of WBEZ, delved into the way poverty affects student learning, mapped the shifting trends of poverty in the suburbs and explored the solutions a few schools have found to overcome the barrier poverty often places on education. Editorials that accompanied the series were also honored with the Best Editorial Writing award.
Senior writer Marie Wilson's continuing coverage of the heroin epidemic in the suburbs was honored with the award for Feature Story or Series for her story "When An Addict's Family Comes Second." The story shared the struggles of a Schaumburg family that has been torn apart by addiction.
The paper's ongoing coverage of the turmoil at the College of DuPage by staff writers Robert Sanchez and Christopher Placek was honored with the award for Political and Government Reporting.
All awards were in the category of daily newspapers with circulation of less than 250,000. They also include:
• Deadline reporting: Staff writers Lee Filas, Russell Lissau, Lake County Editor Pete Nenni and staff for their story "'Ultimate Betrayal': The Truth About Lt. Charles Gliniewicz."
• Non-deadline reporting: Columnist Burt Constable and staff writer Lee Filas for their story "The Two Faces of Lt. Gliniewicz."
• Sports Story: Sports Columnist Bruce Miles for his story "Thinking Outside the Box Score."
• Editorial Writing: Editorial Board of the Daily Herald for "Generations at Risk" series.
• News Photo: Photographer Gilbert R. Boucher II for "An Officer's Memorial."
• Feature Photo: Photo Editor Jeff Knox for "Jet in Eclipse."
• Sports Photo: Photographer Steve Lundy for "Mixed Emotions."
"We're so proud of the honors for our talented and hardworking staff members. This recognition reflects their ongoing commitment to work that informs our readers and serves the community," said Editor John Lampinen.