Home intruder shot, killed by Lisle police officer, officials say

  • A 35-year-old man was fatally shot by a Lisle police officer after trying to break into this Lisle home early Saturday, police said.

      A 35-year-old man was fatally shot by a Lisle police officer after trying to break into this Lisle home early Saturday, police said. Katlyn Smith | Staff Photographer

Updated 10/10/2015 8:20 PM

A 35-year-old man was fatally shot by a Lisle police officer after trying to break into a home early Saturday, authorities said.

Police were called about 5:13 a.m. to a home on the 4400 block of Yender Avenue. The 59-year-old woman, who lives alone in the house, told police she was awakened by loud footsteps on her front porch. Someone then began kicking the front door, attempting to break it down, the homeowner told police, and then moved to the rear of the home, where he started kicking the back door.


The homeowner barricaded herself in the bathroom until police arrived at about 5:16 a.m., officials said.

Preliminary information indicates that two officers made contact with the man, armed with a weapon, police said. One officer deployed a Taser, which was not effective, police said. Shortly after police arrived to the home, the man ultimately was shot by the other officer, police said.

"It was a very short time," Deputy Chief Ron Wilke said.

Officers immediately started giving emergency first aid and called Lisle-Woodridge Fire District personnel, who took the 35-year-old man to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital Downers Grove, where he later died, police said. Wilke would not say how many times the man was shot or what kind of weapon he had.

Three Lisle police officers were treated at Edward Hospital in Naperville and later released. Wilke declined to describe their injuries.

The homeowner was unharmed and went to work Saturday, said a man who identified himself as her husband, adding that they are separated.

"She wanted to keep busy -- keep it off her mind," he said.

She called police when she heard the banging and saw the front door flexing, he said. Dispatchers told her to lock herself in the bathroom and stay on the phone. She remained in the first-floor bathroom during the entire incident and did not hear any shots, he said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

"She seemed pretty OK," he said. "I know it's going to affect her later on."

He was sweeping up shards of glass in the garage, where he said the man had broken the windows -- "everything except the windshield" -- of an SUV parked inside. Nothing was taken from the vehicle, he said. The front door had marks on it and the back door will need to be replaced, he said.

Lisle police called the Illinois State Police to investigate along with the DuPage County coroner and state's attorney's offices. State police have not indicated when their probe will be complete, Wilke said. After their inquiry, Lisle police also will do their own internal review, he added.

"We will work together with all the different agencies to complete a thorough investigation, but that will take some time," Wilke said.

Police have not released the names of the officers involved or how long they have worked with the department. The dead man's identity is being withheld until his family can be notified.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.