Antioch woman charged in fatal hit-and-run

  • Leena A. Ultsch

    Leena A. Ultsch

Updated 8/27/2015 11:40 AM
Update: A Lake county has ordered that Leena Ultsch be held in the Lake County Jail on $250,000 bail. Click here for the update.

A man died early Wednesday along Route 173 near Antioch when his motorcycle was struck by a driver who initially fled the scene but later turned herself in to Lake County Sheriff's officers, police said Wednesday night.

Gregory Boyes, 50, of Antioch, was pronounced dead shortly after the crash, which occurred about 4 a.m. on Route 173 near North Linden Lane, authorities said.


The Lake County Sheriff's Office initially said Boyes died by losing control while taking a turn heading west on Route 173.

Lake County Sheriff's Det. Chris Covelli said shortly after that news release was issued, investigators at the scene who were inspecting Boyes' motorcycle determined that another vehicle must have been involved in the crash.

"It then became a hit-and-run investigation," Covelli said.

Soon after, at around 9:45 a.m., a 34-year-old woman from unincorporated Antioch called the sheriff's office and told them she was involved in a crash with a motorcycle.

Leena A. Ultsch, of the 26400 block of West Grapevine Avenue, told authorities she was aware she collided with the Suzuki and left the scene without contacting authorities because she was scared.

Investigators examined Ultsch's 2004 Toyota Avalon at her residence and found damage consistent with her statement and the evidence located at the scene.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Police charged Ultsch with leaving the scene and failure to report a death, a Class 1 Felony punishable by 4-15 years in prison, and failure to render aid, a Class A Misdemeanor punishable by up to 364 days in jail.

Ultsch submitted to a DUI test kit by providing her blood and urine. The results of the DUI kit are pending toxicology tests.

Covelli said had Ultsch stopped and helped, Boyes might have survived.

"Had she called immediately when the incident occurred, it is certainly possible that the outcome could have been different," Covelli said.

Boyes, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville.

Ultsch is being held in the Lake County jail pending a bond hearing Thursday.

The crash remains under investigation. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday morning.

Daily Herald staff writer Russell Lissau contributed to this report.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.