Super letdown: Chicago's 'Marvel Experience' canceled
The new, indoor high-tech traveling theme park The Marvel Experience will cut short its summer tour instead of heading to Chicago this weekend.
The tour, which was supposed to come to Chicago's McCormick Place July 11 through Aug. 2, has been canceled and will be rescheduled, the organizers announced Monday.
The New York and St. Louis legs also have been postponed. No reason was given for the show's abrupt cancellation.
"There is clearly more that we would like to accomplish with this unique endeavor," Hero Ventures CEO Rick Licht said in a statement Monday. "Rest assured that we'll be back on tour shortly to bring this dynamic event around the country and around the world."
According to ticketmaster.com, refunds for the $40-$55 tickets will be available at point of purchase only. The site said Internet and phone orders will automatically be canceled and refunded.
It's another black eye for co-producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah J. Harris, whose "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" was a costly failure on Broadway. Hero Ventures, a Los Angeles-based entertainment company, and Marvel Entertainment also produced the tour.
The first-of-its kind, the $30 million show had previously made stops in Phoenix, Dallas, San Diego and Philadelphia. The domed, immersive show featured 360-degree projections, holograms, a 4-D motion ride, and other games and experiences connected to Marvel superheroes.
Online reviews of the experience were mixed. While some attendees gushed about how great it was, others, especially in Phoenix, complained of long lines and unimpressive games and experiences.
• Daily Herald wire services contributed to this report.