Prosecutor: We're on trail of Bensenville murder suspect
Authorities are on the trail of a man they believe shot and killed a Bensenville convenience store clerk during a botched armed robbery last month, a prosecutor said Sunday during court proceedings involving a man accused of being the getaway driver.
A DuPage County judge set bail at $2.5 million on Sunday for 23-year-old Chicagoan Tremayne Davis, who authorities say served as the driver for two other men involved in the Jan. 19 slaying of Hussein Saghir at Sam's Tobacco and Foodmart in Bensenville.
Davis, of the 1400 block of North Lotus Avenue, faces charges of first-degree murder, attempted armed robbery and obstruction of justice. He could face life in prison if found guilty of the murder charge.
He is the second man charged in connection with the Saghir's slaying. Last week, Kenneth Bardlett, 20, of Bellwood, was arrested on charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery for his alleged role. He's also being held on $2.5 million.
During Davis' bond hearing Sunday, assistant DuPage County State's Attorney Tim Diamond indicated that police are closing in on a third suspect, who investigators believe fired the bullet that killed Saghir, 36, of Chicago.
"We are on his trail," Diamond said. "He will be brought to justice in short order."
Davis told authorities he was a student at Malcom X College in Chicago, but Diamond said in court Sunday that the Chicago man has not been enrolled at the school for some time.
Diamond, at previous court proceedings, said Saghir and another employee were closing the store at 235 W. Irving Park Road just before 6 p.m. when they were confronted by Bardlett and another man. Saghir refused to re-enter the store, apparently because he wanted to protect his 3-year-old nephew who was inside. After a brief struggle, authorities said Bardlett's accomplice shot and killed Saghir.
Diamond said Bardlett, who has previous convictions for unlawful use of a weapon and reckless conduct, confessed to planning the armed robbery, thinking the men wouldn't get caught because they were outside their neighborhood. He said Bardlett also confirmed he is the second man shown in a surveillance video that captured the armed robbery attempt and eventual shooting.
Bardlett's next two court appearances are scheduled for Monday and March 10.
Davis is scheduled to appear in court March 17 for arraignment.
"I would like to thank the Bensenville Police Department and the Major Crimes Task Force for their continued efforts on this case," DuPage Countyn State's Attorney Robert Berlin said in a news release Sunday. "Because of their hard work and determination, we continue to make progress in the murder investigation of Mr. Saghir. I am confident that as we continue this investigation we will ultimately hold all parties involved responsible for their actions. I would also like to thank Assistant State's Attorney Tim Diamond for going above and beyond the call of duty this past month in seeking justice for Mr. Saghir."
The attempted armed robbery that ended in Saghir's murder took place after a Nov. 10 robbery of the store in which cash and cigarettes were stolen. But Hanan Faraj, Saghir's widow, said her husband didn't worry about getting robbed again.
The last homicide in Bensenville took place in 2004 at an apartment complex on George Street. That case remains unsolved.