Ex-Addison cop facing multiple charges gets $200,000 bond

Updated 2/21/2014 4:46 AM
  • Danny Owens

    Danny Owens

Bond was set at $200,000 Thursday for a former Addison police officer accused of unlawfully firing his gun and violating a protection order by sending disturbing photos to his estranged wife and her mother.

Danny Owens, 40, had been held without bond in DuPage County jail since he was taken into custody late on Feb. 10. A DuPage County judge initially denied bond for Owens when he failed to appear for a Feb. 3 hearing on the weapons charge.

Public defender George Ford, seeking to have the initial $30,000 bond reinstated, said Owens missed the hearing because he was being treated at Central DuPage Hospital for self-inflicted wounds he received on Jan. 31.

Ford said Owens recently resigned from the Addison Police Department.

Assistant State's Attorney Cathy DeLaMar, arguing for a $500,000 bond, said Thursday that officers responding to a wellness check at Owens' residence on Jan. 31, found him bloody and suicidal.

The check was made after Owens texted photos to his wife and mother-in-law of his "blood all over the floor" of the Carol Stream house they once shared.

"(Owens) cut his arms and feet and told the responding police officers to shoot him with their service weapons because he did not want to live any more," DeLaMar said.

Reading from court documents, Judge Daniel Guerin said Owens cut himself with a butcher knife and "jumped up and down on broken glass to cut his feet."

DeLaMar said Owens also made homicidal threats about two other Addison police officers, specifically his former partner on the force.

Ford, however, said Owens is now "stable and under medication" in the jail.

Authorities say Owens' troubles began on Dec. 23, the day after his girlfriend broke up with him. He was charged with recklessly discharging a gun five times while he was alone in his home on the 1300 block of Big Horn Trail in Carol Stream. According to court records, two of the bullets penetrated the home's north wall and flew into the street.

DeLaMar said Thursday that Owens admitted those "bullets were meant for him" but instead hit furniture.

The next day his wife, who filed for divorce in late October, sought an emergency order of protection against Owens to protect herself and the couple's two young children.

On Jan. 3, Owens turned himself in to Carol Stream police on the firearms charge, and posted $300 bail.

The order of protection was renewed on Jan. 13. At that time, Owens was granted limited visitation rights with his children.

He was formally indicted on the weapons charge on Jan. 30, the day before sending the bloody photos.

The protective order was renewed again on Feb. 10, this time removing the visitation rights.

His next court appearance is at 9 a.m. March 21 in DuPage County.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.