Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/17/2013 7:57 AM

Fire destroys much of Indiana veterans group post

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Fire destroyed much of a bingo hall and tavern owned by a veterans group in southern Indiana.

Flames shot through the roof of AMVETS Post 2000's bar near Bloomington on Tuesday and that building's roof collapsed.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Post employee Brenda Waltz-Kerr tells The Herald-Times about 10 people dashed from the bar after a post member opened a side door and found a wall of smoke.

Van Buren Township fire Lt. Toby Liff says the blaze started in the adjacent bingo hall, which sustained extensive smoke damage.

Firefighters also had to deal with 90-degree-plus heat while at the scene. Liff says one firefighter was taken to a hospital with heat exhaustion. No other injuries were reported.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.